amp smoking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok heres the deal i had 2 amps hooked up from a 4-way splitter using 4 guage wire. i hooked every thing up right(i'm pretty sure) i was running a 400watt and 1600 watt amp. Everything was hooked up except the 60amp fuse that is close to the battery, nothing was hooked up to the 400watt amp(speakers,subs...) but as soon as i touched the power wire to the fuse the amps fuse blew and the amp itself started smoking the ignition wasnt turned on though. The fuse by the battery didnt blow either and the other 1600w amp was undamaged why why!!!!!!!! anyone know why this could of happened?

thanks,
...don.. :confused: :bawling:

Hey, greets from Edmonton.

Sounds like there's a problem there, Amp fuses should never blow if amp is connected properly and does not have an electrical fault.

I'm also curious about your amp power ratings. I'm only running 280W total system power, and had to upgrade my system fuse from 60A to 100A because under certain conditions, I could blow the 60A fuse. (But not the fuse at the amps)

I'd take a serious look at your amp terminals, to ensure that they're connected correctly. As dj said, reverse polarity is one potential problem, another is connecting ground to the remote terminal, which will also cause a short circuit from battery to ground, and may take out some circuitry with it.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.