Sparks from amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently installed a Hifonics Bx1000d amplifier. About 5 seconds after the amp turned on there were sparks comng from it. The fuse at the battery blew but not the one on the amp. I opened up the amp to see what was broke and it appears that 3 of the MOSFETs are fried. Does anyone know what would cause this to happen and why the amp fuse did not blow?

Well, I replaced the MOSFETs and reinstalled the amp and it happened again...3 seconds of power and then the MOSFETs blew. I know my wiring is correct because I have a different amp installed and it is working fine. I do not think there is much more I can do myself so I will probably have to send it out to be repaired.

here is a pic of the amp...the blown fets are in the bottom right.

Attachments

• dvc000041.jpg
    dvc000041.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 191
Yeah, those are the transistors in your power supply. If you still need help with this, do post and I'll see what I can do. I assume that everything obvious (ie, loose clamps) can be ruled out? And that you replaced them with the exact part? Did you only replace 3, or the whole bank? It probably won't be a simple fix, but I can at least help you diagnose the problem. Do you have any sort of equipment, at least a multimeter?

Thanks again for the help. I only replaced the three that were blown. I used the exact part. I visually inspected the whole pcb and did not see any other damage or loose parts. I do not have a multimeter but I can get one. I dont have a lot of experience with this but I am a fast learner and would greatly appreciate any help you could give.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.