Class D car amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2004, 01:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Class D car amp

Hi,

I've been looking to make my own monoblock class D car subwoofer amp and came across the Hypex UcD 180 kit which seems to be ideal for what I am after. One problem: I'm new to the DIY side of things and am a bit lost as to what I should do for the power supply. If I understand right, the incoming is 12V DC and the Hypex UcD 180 runs off 50V DC so presumably all I need is to get asuitable transformer that will up the voltage from 12V DC to 50V DC and plug it into the Hypex UcD 180 and it's all systems go! Is this right or am I seriously deluded?

Any help is much appreciated..........thanks!!!
Old 8th September 2004, 02:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I think you would certainly get the correct answer if your post is moved to the the so called Digital amplification forum.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman
Old 8th September 2004, 03:50 PM   #3
Konrad is offline Konrad  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Class D car amp

Quote:
Originally posted by audionutter
Hi,

I've been looking to make my own monoblock class D car subwoofer amp and came across the Hypex UcD 180 kit which seems to be ideal for what I am after. One problem: I'm new to the DIY side of things and am a bit lost as to what I should do for the power supply. If I understand right, the incoming is 12V DC and the Hypex UcD 180 runs off 50V DC so presumably all I need is to get asuitable transformer that will up the voltage from 12V DC to 50V DC and plug it into the Hypex UcD 180 and it's all systems go! Is this right or am I seriously deluded?

Any help is much appreciated..........thanks!!!

No Transformers dont work on DC. A suitable DC-DC converter would do, but is either spesial designed or otherwise expensive, unless

You definetly make yourself a big psu problem
Old 8th September 2004, 04:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to SupraGuy Send a message via Yahoo to SupraGuy
I'd suggest that you take a look in this section about the SMPS. You'll need something like it in order to get that kind of power.

DC-DC converters get the voltage but at currents far too low to be of any real use in a power amp.
Old 10th September 2004, 12:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to raidfibre
To nit-pick:
A DC-DC converter is usually an SMPS unless it is a switched capacitor.
Old 10th September 2004, 11:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, I've been making enquiries and I think LC Audio may have a suitable SMPS running off a 12V DC input. Only thing I am not sure about is this:

It outputs maximum of 500W and if I go for the UcD 400 then would it be insufficient for powering the UcD400?

On a seperate issue, anyone know how easy it is to bridge two UcD 180 together and run them off the "500W SMPS"?

I don't really want to shelve the idea now that I have found kits that will basically do the entire job for me, a suitable SMPS and a class D kit which means all I need is to connect them together, get some RCA inputs and speaker binding post outputs together with a case of some sort and I'm done..........right?
Old 15th September 2004, 11:10 AM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Which SMPS is this? I had a quick look on the LC Audio site and couldn't see anything like that.
Old 16th September 2004, 04:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
I just remembered that I have a scan of an article (from Electronics Now,or one of it's clones..) on my website for a ~200W Class-D car amp.

I thought I'd post the link incase anyone was interested.
It's a .zip file of about 2.5megs.
http://www.users.qwest.net/~ptaylor/...mp-article.zip

The one kind of neat thing I noticed,is that is uses boost-supplies,as opposed to a transformer to get +/- 25V? rails.

Hide this!Advertise here!