Help needed: BMW CD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

my dad had a spare BMW radio that I'm trying to get to work in my car. Its name is "BMW Business CD RDS", googling for that and "BP3850" gets me a certain bit.

To operate the device I have to enter a 4-digit code. According to a Russinan web site I found, the code should be prompted for when battery power resumes. The player is clearly alive, but rather than saying "code" and then prompt me for the four digits, it says "code WAIT".

How should I enter the code? Have I forgotten to connect parts of the cables? (I've got BAT+, ACC = 12V, GND = 0V on a lab supply.)

Greetings,

Børge

On my Volvo's radio, whenever the battery is disconnected, it asks for a similar 4-digit code. I bought the car new, and with the documentation, was a card with the code on it.

I think its just a security measure so people dont steal it.

Check with your dad and look through some of the original BMW documentation, you might find something...

BTW. first time post - long time lurker

Hello Børge,

Originally posted by borges The player is clearly alive, but rather than saying "code" and then prompt me for the four digits, it says "code WAIT"
If I remember correctly, the radio allows you three attempts to enter the code and then locks itself out for half an hour with the CODE WAIT message you are seeing. You have to wait a half hour with the unit powered up and switched on before it will give you three more chances.

You enter the code by pressing the 1 through 4 buttons to change the digits, then hitting one of the radio station change arrows. At least I think so. I have entered the radio code so often after tinkering with my car, it has become a blur of automatic motions.

The radio should have originally come with a couple white cards with its security code. The cards would have been taped to the radio manual on a new car, or to the radio itself if it was a replacement or add on. Any BMW dealer can also find out the code for you if you bring in the radio (or at least its serial number) and convince them you haven't stolen it.

If you have any problems or further questions, feel free to PM me. I hope you are enjoying some late-summer up north!

-John

JohnF,

I got the same message from some nice guys in Russia. The player is up and running now. After the code was fixed I hade to patch up the PCB star ground where the common loudspeaker ground return comes in. Trace was burnt off. And the "is there a cd in here" sensor had a bad tendency of disconnecting when the arm was pushed all the way in, so I had to shave part off it off. Seems to work now, though. I just hope the time and tin weren't totally wasted on this old player.

And yes, I am enjoying the warmer days here, except I found some rust under the carpet in the car :-(

--
Børge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.