Best Car High End Amps You Have Tried

my 2 cents

From the old school daze...

I'm running 4 ZAPCO Z220's in a re-install of my old comp system. The Z220's are getting the op amps modded to Burr Brown's to lower the distortion to the same level as the Mac's 0.005 THD 20 to 20K Hz.

front-Z220
back - z220
subs....Z220 to each in mono

Even before this mod, these amps have always performed; are clean, and have stand-up (underrated) power ratings (115 wpc into 4ohm or 315 wpc in mono)

Not sure now they'd compare by the ear <probably pretty good--shameless old school Zapco plug!!>; but at the prices I've picked up 3 (from 200 to 230USD); so I know the price is better hands down.

MAC has always made top quality audio equipment, and they continued that rep into mobile audio. Takes a lotta ka-ching though. And do a stealth install >> if any little gangbanger saw those kinda amps in their faces as they walked by >> there they go wave bye bye!!

That MAC amps looks tough though.

Did I ever mention my 35dB hearing loss in my right ear.........

The moral I learned...never drive from Dallas to Corpus Christi, with the stereo at max vol SQ. Can you hear me now??

I couldn't blow up the Boston Acoustic speaker back then, and believe me...I tried! Nowadays they'd give you a ticket for your stereo being way way way way way too loud.

I'm seeing some pretty expensive names in this thread. And most of them are expensive for a reason. But I believe that at a certain point you're paying less for sound and more for bragging rights. My point is that our ears, outside of individual differences, can only hear so much. So that extra $5,000 (or so) ends up going towards numbers on paper.
This is a short list of the amps I've owned that I feel deserve to be on this thread. Most of these are affordable btw.

Soundstream D200
Zapco Studio 500
ADS PQ20, PQ10
Harman Kardon TC600
JL Audio 300/4, 500/1, 1000/1
Memphis ST 1300D

Now I feel like I have to qualify the last two brands; JL's slash series was (and is) simply amazing. Here is an amp that delivers the same power from 1.5 to 4 ohms AND 10 to 15 volts. And at the very least, these amps did exactly what they stated, and sounded very nice doing it. People thought these amps were a little expensive, but is it expensive to get exactly what you pay for? Memphis Belle; I have the chrome one with the bomber in the top left corner. Class A/B and class D under one heat sink. An 1,100 watt sub channel stable down to one ohm! And (provided you're running your sub channel over 2 ohms) a crystal clarity that for $300 can't be beat.
Of course, these are my humble and, as of yet, technically uneducated opinions. I only listed a few of the things I've actually spent some time with. (It's all I can remember right now).

I'm seeing some pretty expensive names in this thread. And most of them are expensive for a reason. But I believe that at a certain point you're paying less for sound and more for bragging rights. My point is that our ears, outside of individual differences, can only hear so much. So that extra $5,000 (or so) ends up going towards numbers on paper.
This is a short list of the amps I've owned that I feel deserve to be on this thread. Most of these are affordable btw.

Soundstream D200
Zapco Studio 500
ADS PQ20, PQ10
Harman Kardon TC600
JL Audio 300/4, 500/1, 1000/1
Memphis ST 1300D

Most of these amps started out fairly pricey and of course they are more affordable now. I do agree with the sq and build quality of the first four but again they started out being fairly pricey. (not mcIntosh, etc pricey but still) I do totally agree that after a certain performance point that pushing a name takes over. Considering the distortion level we can percieve its ridiculous to believe you are getting that much better of an amplifier to justify the cost. Buying a $100000 lamborghini vs a nissan 370z you will notice an obvious quality and performance difference.... a McIntosh vs ppi not so much.

Last edited:
Agreed, my friend. I went through my little cost shpiel and didn't even take into account the original price of the aforementioned older amps. And the Memphis. Good catch.
And as far as Mac, It's my opinion that they make some of the most stellar equipment for miles around. But I only wanted to speak on things I've owned. I've definitely heard them. Wish I had one!

Its pretty hard for me to believe that Zed Audio was partially left off this thread! I mean, sure they made a few models listed previously, but we are missing some on the list!

ESX Q275.2
Hifonics Zeus/Mars Generation X
Autotek
Crunch

Zed even makes some new stuff today that looks quite amazing.

I personally love the quality of my Soundstream MC140x when its working correctly and would probably only replace it for a Class-A or larger MC series if given the chance.

I also like the circa 1980s Alpine built amplifiers at least on paper. Havnig worked on Alpine 3545s I'm a fan. Alpine also had a hybrid Class-A / Class-AB amp in their lineup.

Last edited:
/\ I've never heard them on full range speakers, how do they sound? I know they used to make monstrous high output amplifiers that looked to be well designed. Weird they didn't get quited as popular as fosgate, us amps, etc.. I currently have an earthquake phd3 waiting to be installed along with my adcom four channel, can't wait! :)

I have used alot of amps through out the years but I prefer the older Rockford Fosgate and the brand new power series Rockford Fosgate.

I had a few Zapco, Carver, KLW, Concord, Phoenix Gold, US amps, Kicker, Jl Audio, MTX, Hifonics,Sound stream, PPI, Orion, Xtant, etc etc..................

I always go back to Rockford. Well built, very efficient, very clean, very powerful, compact size, parts are readily available for repairs, they always provide schematics, all around very solid choice.

You guys might want to refrain from using earthquake and zed audioo in the same thread. Things could get a little too touchy for Steve "zed audio"

I wouldn't put the memphis belle in the same league with some of the amps listed. It convenient to install, but the stereo seperation specs are horrible not to mention the classd modulation being tranfered into the class ab section via osmosis.

Which BTS amps dont you like? Are they particular models or generations(white, grey, silver)?

I personally like just about anything Zed, or at least made in the USA. Problem with some of the older amps is they need to be "rebuilt", especially considering how hard they were driven.

IMO...its still all about the install. Digital time alignment is nifty and can overcome alot of the shortcomings of "lessor" amps. Also the choice of vehicle is just as important. Some cars are just alot better environments for "high end" audio reproduction. (Sorry if this is redundant, I will finish reading this thread now)

My experience is 10 years out of date. At that time, the Zapco System 151/200A was the cleanest, quietest, most natural sounding amp I had heard. And it should have been at $4 per watt.

Other notable models were Linear Power 2002, Soundstream D200II and ClassA 50, and a couple of the Autotek 7xxx BTS amps.
A very notable exception was Alphasonik's (yep) PMA 2100. Not the best of the best, but sounded so nice your install would likely mask the difference between it and other that would cost 2-3x the price. I used one myself for a couple of years that *sounded* better than RF's legendary Power 650's and Power 300's that a couple other guys in the same shop used. Their installations just didn't showcase SQ.

Which brings up an ambiguous point...

It's difficult to compare amps without swapping one for another in a given installation. Speaker installation has a profound affect on a car system. System/gain/crossover tuning has a very profound effect on a car system. You really can't A/B anything very well in a sound room, and you can't do it at all from one car to another without knowing a lot about how the systems are set up and adjusted.

It's also difficult to compare brands, as performance changes from one model to another within any given line. Performance can change from one year to the next within a given model with evolution of design. The really top-notch companies do tend to be more consistent with top-notch products, but often a single model really stands out.

The only way to figure out which models stand out is to install lots of amplifiers on a regular basis, and use consistent methods to install, tune, and judge them.

And of course, this post is bordering on off-topic because I haven't used any of what's made now.

Tim

The Audison stuff is excellent, I briefly ran the LRX4.300 and compared to my old DEI 5ch it was much more detailed and lively, people were even impressed with my stock Mondeo 6x8s when running off it( I wasn't, but was more impressed than with the DEI amp)

After Audison I got a bit of a Genesis fetish, I now have 4 fitted in my car, two dual monos (one for tweeters and one for sub) and two SM50 (one for each midbass) though these are just a loan while I get one of my Stereo60s repaired. I also have the 5ch, just in case! The Genesis are often described as "clinical" or "cold" I find them accurate and detailed, with little colouration-the SM50 does offer a warmer presentaion.

Apart from the quality of the sound and build (the faluty stereo60 I have was bought 2nd hand for peanuts and only has a fault with one ch) the main reasons I bought Genesis are:

Built in the UK, nice to actually support our dwindling industry
Service, Gordon is the king of customer service, I bought my 5ch 2nd hand and needed a few cosmetic things sorting and some new terminal screws. I mailed Genesis on a saturday and got a reply within minutes-stating he'd send the bits FOC for a small donation to Sports Relief or could have it in for a service. I sent the amp off and got it fully serviced and cosmetically treated and now have a new 12month warranty on it-so the amp can have warranty extended as long as you own it

A friend with a collection of Genesis (loaned me the SM50s) Denon, Mac, SONY ES and more that I've forgotten. He swears his favourite sounding amp is the Denon DCA 800, he has a £4000 Mac that still doesn't rate as highly with him. He runs Kenwood KAC-1078 (IIRC) for most of his system-though he has many! Ghetto Garage Setup - Page 2 - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

Hi, guy
Now I try to re-engineer Gamut D200I in car !
But too hard for 12 to +/-70V SMPS on typical technology, I try to design a new poweer supply which use Resonant Converter Technique (ZCS, ZVS)

Have you ever heard GamutD200I ? Let's see this link >>> 6moons audio reviews: Gamut D3i & D200i

I think my idea is quite too hard but if it posible it will be number 1 of Car Amplifier !

Thanks
Anadigit

The best car audio amplifier I have ever used is a Classic Rockford Power Series 50X2. I loved that amp.

I recently parted ways with a 15 year old Orion 2150sx that was quite the powerhouse as well.

I would also like to give a shot out to the classic boston acoustics pro series components!

My amp got me laid in 76

My first was the best both in home and car. In 1976 I bought a $650 car amp with eq and crossover!! Can't remember for sure but ADS rings a bell as to who made it. It was the first serious car audio ever made and I ran a Nakamichi 350 cassette deck with B&O speakers in the back seat-17yr old. Speaking of speakers there was an electrostatic speaker made for clipping onto a sunshade, I know I saw the ad back then, had to sound like **** But. Home amp was the Acoustat Monitor 4 electrostats w/DD 5000v amps, bought those in 79 at 1/2 price for $1500.