Best Car High End Amps You Have Tried - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2008, 12:21 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

anyone care to comment on the jbl m3 amplifier? wondering if it's as good as the amps mentioned here
Old 5th December 2008, 04:24 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Default my 2 cents

From the old school daze...

I'm running 4 ZAPCO Z220's in a re-install of my old comp system. The Z220's are getting the op amps modded to Burr Brown's to lower the distortion to the same level as the Mac's 0.005 THD 20 to 20K Hz.

front-Z220
back - z220
subs....Z220 to each in mono

Even before this mod, these amps have always performed; are clean, and have stand-up (underrated) power ratings (115 wpc into 4ohm or 315 wpc in mono)

Not sure now they'd compare by the ear <probably pretty good--shameless old school Zapco plug!!>; but at the prices I've picked up 3 (from 200 to 230USD); so I know the price is better hands down.

MAC has always made top quality audio equipment, and they continued that rep into mobile audio. Takes a lotta ka-ching though. And do a stealth install >> if any little gangbanger saw those kinda amps in their faces as they walked by >> there they go wave bye bye!!

That MAC amps looks tough though.

Did I ever mention my 35dB hearing loss in my right ear.........

The moral I learned...never drive from Dallas to Corpus Christi, with the stereo at max vol SQ. Can you hear me now??

I couldn't blow up the Boston Acoustic speaker back then, and believe me...I tried! Nowadays they'd give you a ticket for your stereo being way way way way way too loud.
Old 20th June 2011, 12:16 AM   #103
DC Audi is offline DC Audi  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm seeing some pretty expensive names in this thread. And most of them are expensive for a reason. But I believe that at a certain point you're paying less for sound and more for bragging rights. My point is that our ears, outside of individual differences, can only hear so much. So that extra $5,000 (or so) ends up going towards numbers on paper.
This is a short list of the amps I've owned that I feel deserve to be on this thread. Most of these are affordable btw.

Soundstream D200
Zapco Studio 500
ADS PQ20, PQ10
Harman Kardon TC600
JL Audio 300/4, 500/1, 1000/1
Memphis ST 1300D

Now I feel like I have to qualify the last two brands; JL's slash series was (and is) simply amazing. Here is an amp that delivers the same power from 1.5 to 4 ohms AND 10 to 15 volts. And at the very least, these amps did exactly what they stated, and sounded very nice doing it. People thought these amps were a little expensive, but is it expensive to get exactly what you pay for? Memphis Belle; I have the chrome one with the bomber in the top left corner. Class A/B and class D under one heat sink. An 1,100 watt sub channel stable down to one ohm! And (provided you're running your sub channel over 2 ohms) a crystal clarity that for $300 can't be beat.
Of course, these are my humble and, as of yet, technically uneducated opinions. I only listed a few of the things I've actually spent some time with. (It's all I can remember right now).
Old 20th June 2011, 01:30 AM   #104
Cr@sh is offline Cr@sh  United States
diyAudio Member

Old Florida made Us Amps as well were a good clean amp for not as much money as some. I agree with you DC, there's a point where your ear's or even a RTA aren't going to show anything different based on money. This is a prime example: Critical-Mass
Old 20th June 2011, 04:11 AM   #105
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Audi View Post
I'm seeing some pretty expensive names in this thread. And most of them are expensive for a reason. But I believe that at a certain point you're paying less for sound and more for bragging rights. My point is that our ears, outside of individual differences, can only hear so much. So that extra $5,000 (or so) ends up going towards numbers on paper.
This is a short list of the amps I've owned that I feel deserve to be on this thread. Most of these are affordable btw.

Soundstream D200
Zapco Studio 500
ADS PQ20, PQ10
Harman Kardon TC600
JL Audio 300/4, 500/1, 1000/1
Memphis ST 1300D

Most of these amps started out fairly pricey and of course they are more affordable now. I do agree with the sq and build quality of the first four but again they started out being fairly pricey. (not mcIntosh, etc pricey but still) I do totally agree that after a certain performance point that pushing a name takes over. Considering the distortion level we can percieve its ridiculous to believe you are getting that much better of an amplifier to justify the cost. Buying a $100000 lamborghini vs a nissan 370z you will notice an obvious quality and performance difference.... a McIntosh vs ppi not so much.

Last edited by ppia600; 20th June 2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 20th June 2011, 04:31 AM   #106
DC Audi is offline DC Audi  United States
diyAudio Member

Agreed, my friend. I went through my little cost shpiel and didn't even take into account the original price of the aforementioned older amps. And the Memphis. Good catch.
And as far as Mac, It's my opinion that they make some of the most stellar equipment for miles around. But I only wanted to speak on things I've owned. I've definitely heard them. Wish I had one!
Old 20th June 2011, 05:59 PM   #107
Dr Zeus is offline Dr Zeus  United States
diyAudio Member

Its pretty hard for me to believe that Zed Audio was partially left off this thread! I mean, sure they made a few models listed previously, but we are missing some on the list!

ESX Q275.2
Hifonics Zeus/Mars Generation X
Autotek
Crunch

Zed even makes some new stuff today that looks quite amazing.

I personally love the quality of my Soundstream MC140x when its working correctly and would probably only replace it for a Class-A or larger MC series if given the chance.

I also like the circa 1980s Alpine built amplifiers at least on paper. Havnig worked on Alpine 3545s I'm a fan. Alpine also had a hybrid Class-A / Class-AB amp in their lineup.

Last edited by Dr Zeus; 20th June 2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:19 PM   #108
Cr@sh is offline Cr@sh  United States
diyAudio Member

No kidding, Steve Mantz is on here and still posts. I think Zed was probably some of the best most experienced designers in the game and still are.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:39 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

I like the earthquake amps.The old models
Old 21st June 2011, 01:02 AM   #110
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

/\ I've never heard them on full range speakers, how do they sound? I know they used to make monstrous high output amplifiers that looked to be well designed. Weird they didn't get quited as popular as fosgate, us amps, etc.. I currently have an earthquake phd3 waiting to be installed along with my adcom four channel, can't wait!

Hide this!Advertise here!