Amperes, volts, ohms, "blowing" electronic components...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure which forum this is best for, but I'm asking in relation to a car amp.

I think I finally "get" the relationship between watts, amperes, volts, and ohms, but I want to make sure before I potentially fry something if I hook it up wrong.

If comparing electrical flow to water flowing through pipes...

volts = water pressure
ohms = restriction of pipe (e.g. diameter)
amperes = amount of water that actually flows (current)

I think this means, voltage doesn't "make" current flow, a high resistance could block it. You don't "apply" current, you apply volts, and current is "drawn" based on resistance.

Is that about right? If not, please enlighten me.

I think that means that you don't have to worry about supplying too much "current" to a component, right? You don't "supply" current, you supply voltage, and the component "draws" current based on it's resistance. Is that right?

OK, now my question:

For the 12 volt remote turn-on terminal of a car amplifier, which doesn't require much current, and has a much smaller connecting terminal than the 12 volt power terminal, would it be dangerous for testing purposes (testing the amp before installing it properly) to directly connect the remote turn-on terminal to the same wire as supplies the amplifier's power? Would that fry the amplifier? Would a resistor in series with this connection be required, or would that drop the voltage too low?

Still a little confused, and haven't been able to find this info anywhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.