Amperes, volts, ohms, "blowing" electronic components... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2004, 01:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amperes, volts, ohms, "blowing" electronic components...

I'm not sure which forum this is best for, but I'm asking in relation to a car amp.

I think I finally "get" the relationship between watts, amperes, volts, and ohms, but I want to make sure before I potentially fry something if I hook it up wrong.

If comparing electrical flow to water flowing through pipes...

volts = water pressure
ohms = restriction of pipe (e.g. diameter)
amperes = amount of water that actually flows (current)

I think this means, voltage doesn't "make" current flow, a high resistance could block it. You don't "apply" current, you apply volts, and current is "drawn" based on resistance.

Is that about right? If not, please enlighten me.

I think that means that you don't have to worry about supplying too much "current" to a component, right? You don't "supply" current, you supply voltage, and the component "draws" current based on it's resistance. Is that right?

OK, now my question:

For the 12 volt remote turn-on terminal of a car amplifier, which doesn't require much current, and has a much smaller connecting terminal than the 12 volt power terminal, would it be dangerous for testing purposes (testing the amp before installing it properly) to directly connect the remote turn-on terminal to the same wire as supplies the amplifier's power? Would that fry the amplifier? Would a resistor in series with this connection be required, or would that drop the voltage too low?

Still a little confused, and haven't been able to find this info anywhere.
Old 15th August 2004, 01:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

yes...you should be able to use 12V to trigger the remote...
Old 15th August 2004, 02:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to trailsnail85
yea you can use a peice of wire and run it into the terminal with the power wire and the amp will turn on. friend does this with a swicth on the jumper between the power and remote an uses that to turn on the amp. hes a to lazy to run a remote wire right.
Old 17th August 2004, 12:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Correct ... The remote turn-on accepts 12v ... It will draw the current it needs.
Old 17th August 2004, 02:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
Quote:
Correct ... The remote turn-on accepts 12v ... It will draw the current it needs.
Just out of curiosity, how much current does it usually draw (average amplifier)?
Old 17th August 2004, 02:32 AM   #6
Immo_G is offline Immo_G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Should be under 200ma, and probably around 40-50ma. You can use thin wire for this, not sure why some amps have the 8ga spot for it.
Old 17th August 2004, 03:19 AM   #7
Tensop is offline Tensop  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Cost management
Cheaper to buy a 3 terminal 8 guage socket than a 2 terminal 8 guage socket and a 22 guage socket

Hide this!Advertise here!