how to get better radio reception ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2004, 05:56 PM   #1
My96p71 is offline My96p71  United States
diyAudio Member

Default how to get better radio reception ?

I am having problems with my radio reception. I installed a budget radio at first.I used a brand-new body antenna with this radio. The FM reception had lots of static, with no AM at all.
Thinking it was the radio, I bought a nice Sony radio next. Same antenna, a little better reception, however, now the FM stations fade and I still have no AM at all. Next, I tried a brand-new amplified antenna. Same problems--fading FM and still no AM at all. Next, I replaced the complete run of antenna cable from the rear of the car (where the antenna is) all the way up to the radio itself. No improvement.
Any ideas? Does the bradided sheath on the antenna cable need to be grounded? Why no AM reception at all?
I have never encountered such problems with a car radio before.
My truck has a broken antenna with a factory radio and the AM/FM reception is perfect, even when parked side by side with my car that is having problems, so I know it's not radio waves being blocked by buildings or such.
Thanks for any help or input.

(Sorry for the long post)
Old 15th August 2004, 01:12 AM   #2
Immo_G is offline Immo_G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Check if your headunit has a EU/US setting for radio bands, it sets the spacing of the FM bands, mine has poor reception when set to US (default if its reset) but a lot better on EU. Otherwise, I can't see what would cause reception as bad as you say.

I've seen dual antenna setups, with a differential/autoswap box to choose best signal, maybe that might work, but they are bloody expensive.
Old 15th August 2004, 07:55 PM   #3
My96p71 is offline My96p71  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think my head unit that has that option,But thanks for your help anyway.

Just in case someone would like to know its a Sony Model # CDX-S2000.

I did some more looking into on this and found this unit has Sony’s SSIR-EXA tuner and its suppose to receive even weak signals loud and clear. Any input on This?

Thanks again

Hide this!Advertise here!