Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2004, 05:26 AM   #11
memito is offline memito  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks all, I think I got it now
Old 18th August 2004, 12:05 PM   #12
tuneman is offline tuneman  Australia
diyAudio Member

to do proper level setting you need a occiliscope to get the unclipped output of your deck/amp!

seeing as not everyone has access to one a multimeter is ok but it dosent give any idear when clipping starts, so i wouldn't use one, better to just do it by ear, the general practice is as follows-
set your deck to 3/4 volume(an average unclipped volume, your deck may be more or less or not clipp at all but you dont know without a scope )
have the deck running and the amp gain set at the lowest point, im guessing with your amp but where it says 9v! with some music that is dynamic! not nessacarily bass heavy cause that may be at just one freq! what you want is a good representation of all bass freq
for subs you can use a 50hz tone if you want but its best left for the scope.

wilst playing bring the level up till an audible clipping is heard then back it of so its a clean signal' once that is done the levels are generally 90% right and will privide some level of protection for your gear
Old 18th August 2004, 06:02 PM   #13
memito is offline memito  United States
diyAudio Member

I tried adjusting the levels by ear and there's no clipping on my sub at the highet gain possible (.2V). However, to me, when I arrive at around 3V all the way to .2V it sounds the same. That is, no matter where I have the gain set past 3V it sounds all the same to me. Should I leave the gain all the way up (.2V) or leave it down where I can't notice an audible difference (3V)?
Old 18th August 2004, 06:11 PM   #14
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I'd also advocate doing it by ear.

Faffing around with a voltmeter is pointless as you will not be able to see any clipping. Just set all your tone and levels (fader, balance, sub, etc) to zero/flat then adjust the desired levels with the amp volume controls. Takes a bit of fiddling but is the best way to guarantee even performance from all channels.
Old 18th August 2004, 07:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by memito
Should I leave the gain all the way up (.2V) or leave it down where I can't notice an audible difference (3V)?
The lower the setting, the safer the equipment will be .. .

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
with the amp volume controls
Gain and Volume are two completely different things. Do not think of your gain as a volume control, unless you wish to damage your equipment .. .

In my opinion, it is important to have a fairly good idea of the input voltage when adjusting your settings. Though the amp may sound good, you may be running too much current through the amp, and ultimately shortening your amp's lifespan. ... I currently have four dead amps at my house. All of them were over-worked, all of them sounded great, all of them died early. So think about it, before you tune it the easy way ... . 2

Hide this!Advertise here!