Amp failure .. .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My amp is acting up ...

First things first, the amp is wired properly. This problem just started one day, and had no previous oddities ...

When turned on, the amp plays beautifully, for a very short period of time. The amp then shuts off. It seems to shut off as soon as the amp warms up a little, and will not turn back on for more than a second or so, unless I have given the amp plenty of time to cool down. This is very odd, as the amp is not really getting hot. This all started after leaving my system at a high level, for a long period of time, on a very hot day. ..

I suspect that the overheat-shutoff circuit has been damaged. Any ideas as to how I can fix this? Or possibly a diagram that would depict which components make up this circuit, so that I can test the components? Maybe a kind prayer for my poor amp? . .. Any suggestions/directions would be greatly appreciated ..

Thanks!

My current setup (I know, it's pathetic):

HU - stock
Line Converter (tapped into rear speakers) - adjustable (don't recall the brand)
Amp - Jensen XA2125
Subs - (2) Pioneer TS-W34C (4 ohms each) wired in stereo mode
Enclosure - qLogic QLH-12D100 (too small, I know)
Power Cables - 8 gauge
Speaker Cables - 14 gauge (maybe 16, I don't recall)

The gain is set to just above half.
The bass boost is set to ~14db, but kept at around 30% via the remote dial.
The LP filter is on, set to around 90Hz.
Etc ...

Any thoughts on this?
Thanx! :D

i dont think that the overheat protection circuit is damaged , maybe its the current protection kicks in :xeye:

i think maybe one of the channels got a broken transistor so the amp shuts down .check if all the channels are working before it shuts down .

I haven't put the meter on it to verify that both channels are functioning, but it sounds as if they are; there does not seem to be a difference in the sound since this issue began. It very well could be one of the transistors, I just didn't realize that it would function at all if one were damaged. I guess I'll just have to start testing the individual components.

Well Maylar, it looks like you may have found the problem . .. I've got 2 resistors that are supposed to be .2 ohms; both of which are reading 5 ohms of resistance. I will replace these (hopefully tomorrow), and hopefully have a working amp. Thanks again for your help. I'll keep you guys posted ... :D

FIXED!! :D

One of the components had shifted (likely due to the amp overheating), and was making contact with a portion of the circuit that it was not intended to. I corrected it, and the amp now functions beautifully ... Thank you all for your input regarding this matter; much appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.