Rattling and Dynamat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have installed a brand new sytem in my friends 97 Nissan Altima.
Aiwa head unit, Kicker amps, Rockford 6.5 and 6x8, and Coustic Subs. It sounds great inside of the car, but outside there is to much rattling. The Passenger front door and the trunk are the main issues.

Would a layer of Dynamat in the trunk and the doors solve the problem? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Any hints and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
NaftaliG

Yes

and

Yes

and

NO for both. You must find what (all) exactly is rattling. surgery on the wrong side of a body is no good. BUT a layer of dynamat will quiet the whole car down which is a Very Good Thing. It just may not solve the immediate problem.

The cheaper alternative is expanding foam insulation sold in home improvement stores. It will possibly expand enough to deform body panels and is a mess, so use sparingly if at all.

The cheapEST way is to stuff with rags whatever you think may be rattling. Once you find it, screw it tight, zip tie it, dynamat it, whatever it needs.

Dynamat is expensive and over-rated for the price. Here are a few alts:

*RaamMat 60 great stuff, pretty cheap to get
*FatMat even cheaper but had no experience with, but heard good stuff about it.
*Elemental Designs E-Dead, spray on liner for those hard to reach irregular areas (like the trunk lid insides)
*Brown Bread, cheaper than Dynamat, but more than RaamMat and FatMat, heard good stories
*Peel N Seal roofing material. YOu can get this at any Lowe's stores and its dirt cheap, really dirt cheap. Never used it but heard some great stuff about it.
*PartsExpress.com has some deadener on sale as well, pretty cheap to get and heard good stuff.

Generally speaking, its a good idea to do the door panels anyway, just to improve overall sound quality and keep out road noise. If you have ever watched those Hot Rod builders like Chip Foose and Troy Trepanea (sp) they always lay down some type of sound deadener to keep things nice and quiet on the insides.

Make sure to really clean the surface before you lay this stuff down, or else it will not make a good bond and fall off soon, all your hard work down the drain! Do a general soap/water clean-up, then wipe it down. Use ACETONE to go over the area again, what this does is clean up any and all grease/grime/oil films and exposes the adhesive on the deadener to the metal, allowing for a strong bond. Make sure to use a roller to roll it on to ensure air bubbles are out and make a very strong bond. I would highly recommend this to anyone just because your overall ride quality in your car will sound much better. I am going to even put some in my wife's car and she doesnt have a stereo system (just stock).

.......those Hot Rod builders like Chip Foose and Troy Trepanea (sp) ..........

Make sure to really clean the surface before you lay this stuff down, or else it will not make a good bond and fall off soon, all your hard work down the drain! Do a general soap/water clean-up, then wipe it down. Use ACETONE to go over the area again, what this does is clean up any and all grease/grime/oil films and exposes the adhesive on the deadener to the metal, allowing for a strong bond. Make sure to use a roller to roll it on to ensure air bubbles are out and make a very strong bond. I would highly recommend this to anyone just because your overall ride quality in your car will sound much better. I am going to even put some in my wife's car and she doesnt have a stereo system (just stock).

had just watched "rides" on discovery channel a while ago, I think it's "Troy Trepanear" all I remember it had an R at the end. :smash:

found out sticking it well the hard way. it was my first time, so I had it fall of when I was installing it. I cleaned it with dishwashing detergent. works fine. as for sound quality, bass sounded louder and tighter on my SUV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.