Big System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought I would throw this in for you gys to check out. Here is an enclosure I'm building for a 99' Durango. 25 cubic feet ported @32Hz/200in2 vent, 6 Adire Tempest 15's and I'll be feeding it about 2kwrms....... I'll have it done this weekend.... I think I'll be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-152db.....

Attachments

• dsc00251.jpg
    dsc00251.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 389
According to my math and experience (which in my opinion is just as good or better than the math) you will hit around 147db, 148 if your lucky. If you want to go higher you will need considerably more power, even with the relatively high efficiency of the subs.

Your enclosure design isn't really ideal for SQ or SPL IMHO. Its kinda sitting in the middle and will never come close to achieving either. The 4.16cu.ft your giving each sub is WAY to small for the tempest in either application. Because of the large enclosure required by the tempest its not very well suited for car audio use.

If I had your setup I would shoot for SQ because the SPL results with only 2000 watts is not that impressive for 6 15s.

Here is my suggestion for an "SQ" ported box (its gonna be HUGE, but the tempest wasn't designed for the limited space of a vehicle.........

Box size: 45-50cu.ft, Fb: 18-20hz. You can go with the 200sq.in of port if you want, which would be around 19.5" with a 50cu.ft box tuned to 18hz. With 2000 watts it will yield a peek vent air velocity of about 14m/s @ 14hz.

hmmm, math and experience.... OK, here is a box I built last month in a 72 Chevelle with 6 sealed Tempests with 2ft each, and about 2000 wrms (two of the original Rockford power 1000 mosfets amps) Bangs 149 all day long at 50Hz...... Sealed.....
at the headrest....... No BS..... A buddy of mine has 4 Tempest and 1000 watts in a S10 pickup with a similar box alingment and hit 150.6 legal on a termpro in Tennesse.....

Remember you can plug stuff into the computer all day long, but actually doing it is something completely different.....

This stuff is fun though, isn't it?;)

Attachments

• img_1762_3.jpg
    img_1762_3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 285
Here is the box installed in the truck. I just got done putting 2 coats of epoxy resin inside the entire enclosure to seal any small leaks, stiffen up walls, and dampen a bit. Tonight I will spray another coat of paint inside the port, fill the screw holes, and carpet the front.... It barely fit in the truck! It went in in two pieces which were then Gorilla glued and reinforced with an additional 3/4" layer of MDF on the inside....

Attachments

• 08090001.jpg
    08090001.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 311
A buddy of mine has 4 Tempest and 1000 watts in a S10 pickup with a similar box alingment and hit 150.6 legal on a termpro in Tennesse.....

I use the new termpro "sensor mics"on a daily basis and find that statement EXTREMELY hard to believe. I'm not calling you a liar, but thats not even possible with 1000 watts.

I have a friend who owns a walled off caravan with 4 Atomic SPL subs and 2 4000watt rms Visonik amps, and he does a "legal" 152.5db.

Now, if I do more of that math stuff, thats only 1.9db louder than your friend. Since they are both using 4 15s(efficiencies aside) that would mean with the "magic" of your Friends setup he would only need a little less than 700 watts more to do 152.5db.

If that were true, that would mean my friend is "wasting" nearly 6300 watts of power on speaker inefficiencies,cabin losses, etc. . I don't think so.

theAnonymous1 said:
According to my math and experience (which in my opinion is just as good or better than the math) you will hit around 147db, 148 if your lucky. If you want to go higher you will need considerably more power, even with the relatively high efficiency of the subs.
Hi... Wonder how you guessed spl....neat trick... that program know if its in a wall with 1.5 inch thick wood or triple reinforced baffle with allthread through it and wave slants in the corners with resin all in it to make it hard as a coffin in an S10 thats sound deadened or in a van thats not sound deadend with 8 inch front baffle and sand in between the back wall and the last wall???
Or does it just do Anachoic?

Your enclosure design isn't really ideal for SQ or SPL IMHO. Its kinda sitting in the middle and will never come close to achieving either. The 4.16cu.ft your giving each sub is WAY to small for the tempest in either application. Because of the large enclosure required by the tempest its not very well suited for car audio use.

Who told you that LOL....

If I had your setup I would shoot for SQ because the SPL results with only 2000 watts is not that impressive for 6 15s.

Here is my suggestion for an "SQ" ported box (its gonna be HUGE, but the tempest wasn't designed for the limited space of a vehicle.........

Box size: 45-50cu.ft, Fb: 18-20hz. You can go with the 200sq.in of port if you want, which would be around 19.5" with a 50cu.ft box tuned to 18hz. With 2000 watts it will yield a peek vent air velocity of about 14m/s @ 14hz.

Lemme guess........WinISD told ya that huh? :D

theAnonymous1 said:

I use the new termpro "sensor mics"on a daily basis and find that statement EXTREMELY hard to believe. I'm not calling you a liar, but thats not even possible with 1000 watts.

I compete in MECA...we use TERMLAB SENSOR as well....
And I assure you..... 1000w can get you 150+db with no problem ...The top guns really duke it out...in Meca is all about efficiency ;) http://www.mecacaraudio.com/eventresults.php?eventid=1
There is 152.3
I use 4 Tempest and MAX power of 1000w no more...
At the head rest the truck and bust well over 150.6...yes ...I said headrest... the mic is put there to measure what the driver's head feels....

theAnonymous1 said:

I have a friend who owns a walled off caravan with 4 Atomic SPL subs and 2 4000watt rms Visonik amps, and he does a "legal" 152.5db.

Now, if I do more of that math stuff, thats only 1.9db louder than your friend. Since they are both using 4 15s(efficiencies aside) that would mean with the "magic" of your Friends setup he would only need a little less than 700 watts more to do 152.5db.
Dunno how you came up with that...if you knew SPL like you say you do...... you'd know its not quite that simple...

If that were true, that would mean my friend is "wasting" nearly 6300 watts of power on speaker inefficiencies,cabin losses, etc. . I don't think so.

He may be...but given that he does drag and his score can go up or down if he opens his door or not..we will never know....
Its not really that important..his application is different as well as his assembly and execution....so its really Irrelivant what your friend does with his gear..
heres the facts.....

1000w....+ 4 Tempest.... about 18 cubes after port displacement.... 200sq inches of port tuned to 33hz....and has enough control to tame the subs to get lost in music and throw the bass up front just like a concert or in a recording studio... :) yes....she has the ability to sound vera vera nice.....

Then throw a few switches and wire a little different at the amp..and I'm Generating over 150db at the Head...... On the TERMLAB ...
No lie.... You can ask Dan Wiggins himself.... He was there and saw it...along with 50 other people....
http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/MobileInstallsPageFrameText.htm

I'm not flaming.....nice to meet you as a matter of fact.... but just because you never seen it or heard of it...don't make it false ...
:smash:

Fired it up last night. The wall isn't connected to the sides of the truck to seal off the back yet, and the woofers were just stuck in to test everything with 4 small screws each. Tuning was right on at 32 Hz. I had to rewire the subs because the .6 ohm load would shut the sub amp down ocasionaly when I really let them eat. I re-wired for 2.6 ohms series parrallel, now only about 1400 watts, it was a little lower in ouput level, but not much. I think we will get another sub amp and throw 3.5-4KW at them if we can. Sound? LOUD AS HELL!!!! Ridiculous, the dome light ripped off the headliner (broke into pieces) The dash is coming apart, the roof heaves in and out about an inch, and the doors all buckle. I'll bet she's doing at least 145ish right now (no mic yet, just gut feeling, we mic'd it with the old box at 140db and this is much louder), and when we get the wall sealed up, the woofers mounted good, and all the levels tweeked, I'll bet 150 is attainable.... I'll put some pics on soon. It's tough to describe what it feels like sitting in the back in front of the woofers, your clothes blow around like your in a little windstorm... Way Cool! 30Hz is completely unbearable in the damn thing....

I actually have a picture of a buddy sitting inside of it with one woofer out wiring it up (I can't fit throught the hole).... I'll post it...

I would really like to reinforce the truck somehow. When we started this project the Truck was like new inside. We hacked out so much stuff (permanently) that it almost makes me wince to do any more damage. I think I will try and find other ways to stiffen everything up in a not so permanent way. We will probably make a bunch of supports off of the box that put pressure against the body panels with stiff foam as a gasket to keep it from buzzing, rattling....

The guy I built this for does use it as a daily driver......:xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.