DIY seperates - peerless???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla that I would like to upgrade. What I have in mind are a set of 6 1/2" two way components using passive crossovers and a single 12" sub.

I've looked at quite a few speakers liked mid range focals. I also liked the more expensive MB Quart stuff but it seemed a bit harsh on the higher freqs.

I was poking around on carsound and I found a post by snootch taking about the use of peerless drivers as a low cost alternative to a high end consumer oriented system. Looking at his TransAm made me interested. So I started looking up specs on some of the peerless stuff.

So far so good. I like what I see but I have no way of hearing them. Has anyone used peerless speakers in a car audio application and been happy? I'm looking at models 811581 and 850517. I'm thinking about buying them from www.speakercity.com as they have been given good reviews in the forums.

The other thing that worries me a bit is building the crossovers. I've never built a set so it would be a first. I've been reading quite a bit on the topic and it seems that the Rod Elliot artical on passive crossover design is a good start. I found it at the link below. http://sound.westhost.com/lr-passive.htm#1.1-woofer-midrange

So is this somthing thats feasable?... worthwhile? Would I end up with something better then a 200usd set of components purchased off ebay?

Thanks for you help.

Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.