need help, speaker popping...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and no, the speaker isn't blown cuz i already replaced it (and it still pops!). here's the info:

Pioneer head unit
VR3 400w 4 ch. amp
front: Lightning Audio 5x7
rear: MA Audio 6x9
no sub (yet! :rolleyes: )

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2 dr.

ok, here's the story- system has been working great for a little over a year now, only blew one spkr (Lightning Audio spkrs=junk). i have the MA's getting the full range from the amp (they put out some decent bass!), and the Lightning Audio's are getting mid-high range. within the last 2 wks, the left front spkr has been popping. i figured i blew another one, so i changed it. still did it. so i pulled the spkr back out to inspect it, and while it was disconnected, i was listening to some music. when i cranked it up, the right rear spkr started popping?! after inspecting the front spkr, i put it back in (it is brand new). cranked it up, left front started popping again. for some reason, can't remember why, i pulled the left front spkr's pre amp wire from the amp; no music, but still popping?! :confused: now, the popping has more to do w/ bass than volume. i can turn the bass down and crank it up w/ no popping. i can have the volume low (25%), and crank up the bass and it pops (pops w/ the heavy bass hits).

the only thing i can come up w/ is a bad ground or some wire shorting out. but i wanted to get some more opinions before i start tearing my car apart again :bawling: .

thanks in advance for your opinions!!!

BadBoy :cool:

yeah, that was another thought of mine, but i didn't want to go there! i don't have a spare amp to swap in, does anyone else have any ideas? i was listening to some music on the way home from work today, and it was fine for a while, then started acting up again... :( it was a cheap amp to begin with, maybe i'll look into getting a different one. thanks for the post!

BadBoy :cool:

Your speaker is popping because you have the gain set too high. This phenomena is also called "speaker clipping". What the gain does is match the head units output voltage to your amps voltage to your speakers voltage. Easiest way to get it right is turn your gains on the amp all the way down. Then turn your volume level 75% up. Start increasing the gain until you begin to hear the clipping. Crank the gain down a hair from that. Its set! Easy huh? Or you can get really anal about it and hook up a multimeter to each phase (head unit, amp, speakers) and set the gains until the outputs all match each other. Hope this helps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.