Subwoofer type/installation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 1998 Honda CRV and I want to a subwoofer in it. There is no subwoofer in it currently and I really don't want to take up space with a box. I've got an idea for placement but I'll get to that on another or continuation of this thread. I like tighter bass as opposed to loud booming here me around town bass so that means I want a sealed installation correct? And what exactly does that mean. As far as the reccomended box size can the size be any size as long as it meets the minimum? Thanks

sealed boxes being punchy and ported boxes for boomy output is really not true especially with todays sub designs!.
sealed will give the flattest response for a sq type setup with good low freq extension :) a ported as well can be tuned to be just as good but gives you the advantages of higher efficiency, being able to alter the sound characterisics via easly changing the length or diameter of the port/s and will have a higher power handling above its tuned freq. some sq subs are only designed to work in ported boxes and others sealed boxes, some great examples are the old soundstream spl subs,strokers,DD's ! put them in a sealed and there horrible :( slot in a port and they sound incredible, some will only work well in a sealed box! some only quite small ones.

with any sub if its designed to work in a sealed box it will have minimum specs for a box size, but with compromizes! if its small it will lose low freq but will take up minimal room and sound generally ok for most styles of music, but to work well and gain a bit more efficincy and more bottom end a bigger box is better' how big? it really depends on your music tastes and overall system design, you really need the t/s specs and someone to design you up some sizes to suit your needs.

i am a big fan of the 'punchy' sound and nothing i've heard comes close to a setup i had in my car with 8 x10" subs in a very small 3.4cf :eek: (for 8 10's) with each getting 400wrms of power! sounded awsum! it was achieved by chance' it was built to fit, but it had 'sledgehammer to the chest bass' but one reason it worked well was the small box with lots of power! it works for punchy bass especially :)

what is the sub? i could design up a few box style's for you for a general guide.

Hmmm

I don't have a sub in mind yet, but in an attempt to save money I'm looking at only buying one sub. Probably an 8" or 10". Like I said I'm not looked for the pounding chest nailing sound, I just want support/backup for my speakers that have very poor bass response. I love the lows but I want to stay in my seat when it hits. There is a trim panel on my tailgate that I'm thinking I could put the sub in and that is why I'm trying to figure out what I need as far as sealed/ported and so on. Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.