Better Sound Quality - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2004, 10:39 AM   #11
Cobra2 is online now Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Quote:
Originally posted by LqDFx
Sorry pk, I was in such a hurry to get out the door that I forgot to mention what I am driving!

Auto Stats: 1986 Ford Mustang GT Hatchback (5-spd).

I think FLOWMASTER makes the best sound....

Arne K
Old 18th July 2004, 01:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

i will always recommend never to use the head units speaker outputs! not ever, they have no power and only spoil the sound quality as they can not run anything with any quality.

For SQ i will always recommend the best mids and tweeters and a decent sound quality amplifier and good hifi cable.

I have found everybody has a different idea about what sound quality is, if its lots of bass then thats something else, if its high SPL thats also something else if you want a hi-fi sound in your car thats the best thing to aim for, thats my template for sound quality.

You have a muscle car and i think you need a good level of sound so lots of amplifiers and the most important part of a car audio system is the installation, in home audio its a 30 minute job, in car audio it can takes week! so good luck!
Old 21st July 2004, 01:51 PM   #13
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
my install took two days.
Old 21st July 2004, 04:42 PM   #14
LqDFx is offline LqDFx  United States
diyAudio Member

Cobra 2, I also thinl Flowmasters sound great! That is why I spent $350 on a cat back system for the stang!

As for the stereo system, Paradise Ice, I am looking for the Hi-Fi qaulity of sound. I think I am about where I want it. Since my dad is a musician who loves the blues and blues rock, I grew up on it and that is what I want to sound good in the car when I am going down the road. I also want to be able to listen to other types of music in there also. I am big on hearing everything that went into the recording. If a artist or band did not want you to hear the symbles crashing, then why would they put them in the track? That is my stance on sound quality. Yeah big bass is great if that is what the artist wanted to record, but if there is other instuments in there besides the drums and bass guitar, I want to hear it as intended!
Old 16th June 2006, 04:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RetroAudio
Here's my 2 cents: I've been into amps for a long time and even know quite a bit about design through the school of hard knocks (beating my head against a concrete wall). Home stereo has been my past but am now working on a bunch of car amps I have collected over the years and they are really no different at all with regards to what needs to be done to them to get them to sound worth a crap. The circuit level is actually quite amazing in some but simply were not fabricated with very good parts (capacitors mainly). To go through these amps in detail really does make a difference, just like the nutcases do in home stereo. To just replace opamp buffers with today's current opamps, do a comprehensive electrolytic upgrade, reset biases, and do general circuit cleanup when possible will indeed get you a whole new sound! I must point out that today's electrolytic caps (if you know what to look for) are so far advanced over those 10-20 years ago that you MUST consider this. Much has happened with electrolytic technology and certain lines and even certain values in lines stand out that I see no one talking about on here. However, much of today's gear still manages to use lower grades. The old school car amps are a great way to start if you have to time to do the somewhat time-consuming upgrade. I am old fashioned, the chip amps do nothing for me. It's way too easy to look at what's done and not even have to wonder why the sound ain't there.

Hide this!Advertise here!