How Many capacitors for How many Watts? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2004, 05:59 PM   #11
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

If I was running that sort of power I would be connecting dedicated earth wires to the battery for the amps.
Old 25th June 2004, 12:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

i made a mistake my car is 15 years old! i missed the one,
I have 4 gauge earth wires, i think your right about my battery, its a bit of an old dog now i suspect, I did'nt think running dedicated earth wires was a good idea? Funny thing is the car has Zero rust and its in Sunny Scotland! so the earthing points are solid, I am glad i have not thrown money away with caps, but some in this thread said there good if there close to the amp?
I am not sure is that makes a difference?
Old 25th June 2004, 01:54 AM   #13
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Why not add an additional battery that sits next to the amps as previously suggested? It would provide the extra current reserve and not be limited by the resistance and length of the power cables. If it was fully charged from the get go, a charging system shouldn't see any difference between two slightly discharged batteries and one more than slightly discharged battery. Just a thought.
Old 25th June 2004, 01:56 AM   #14
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Btw, I heard some time ago 200,000uf per 100watts. But I have no idea if this is accurate.
Old 25th June 2004, 02:07 AM   #15
clayton is offline clayton  United States
diyAudio Member

If you install another battery make sure both battery are identical in cca. Otherwise you will shorten the life span of the batteries. Also use no less than 2awg. wire for your second battery running it to your main. This will enable it to get the full amount of charge from your alternator.
Old 26th June 2004, 07:31 PM   #16
NB23 is offline NB23  United States
diyAudio Member

If you add a second battery, would it cause the alternator to work harder? To charge up both batteries. Or maybe it does not matter because, even with two batteries you are still pulling the same amount of current as with a single battery. If you put the second battery in the trunk with your amps, don't you need a sealed battery, because normal unsealed batteries release hydrogen when current is drawn from it, thats not good if its close to your amps.
Old 26th June 2004, 07:37 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to baggystevo82
If you're worried about gas emmission and leakage then take a look in a racecar catalogue (most car accessory catalogues now too to be honest) and look for batteries. FIA race spec batteries will have a gel inside (instead of a liquid) and are fully sealed, so no gas emissions and no leakage. Leakage is definitely a concern if you keep the battery under a seat or something...definitely wouldn't want to be in there if you rolled with a normal battery there! Those same catalogues normally have some huge alternators too, all gets a bit pricy though
Steve
Old 26th June 2004, 07:50 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
capacitors do help. I was running my amp, and it was dimming the lights. Then I added a cap, and no more dimming. I was surprised because I was playing continuous bass music, and the lights didn't even dim.
Old 26th June 2004, 07:51 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to baggystevo82
maybe theyre continuosely a little bit dim so you don't notice?
Steve
Old 26th June 2004, 07:53 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
they might be, but without the cap, the dimming was noticable. So caps do help.

Hide this!Advertise here!