Deep bass makes me sick? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2004, 05:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Deep bass makes me sick?

I have noticed that i get real sick, listening to loud deep bass in my car.
I do alot of driving and i warm my amps up for about 30 minutes and it takes about that long for the voice coils to reach there optimum temperature, so why is it that! on a long drive down the M6 i start to feel bored with the bass? Not sick of it just that its draining my enjoyment!
Its not the road noise, i have even tried different PSi in my tires.
I switch my amp feeding one 12 inch sub, and listen to my B&W componets instead.
I also have a gain control for the sub amp and i slowly turn it down as time goes on.
I think its the volume or the frequency that just drives me mad.
Has anybody any idea on how to listen to deep bass for a long exposure?
I know its not the music, i have tried so many subwoofers so is it something psychoacoustic in my head?
Any doctors know anything about short term bass exposure makes you sick?
Old 21st June 2004, 05:38 PM   #2
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Could it simply be fatigue? Especially in an auto application it seems (but really anywhere) there is a tendency to emphasize the bass. As a result, the overall SPL is high to achieve whatever "reference" volume you prefer in the midrange. As a result, one quickly becomes fatigued and wishes to reduce the SPL in some way. Maybe by "turning down the sub" you are getting closer to a smooth integration between your sub and your mains.

I wonder if it could also be that the sub is making the overall sound a little muddy, which could be due to damping or how smoothly it integrates with the system. I think the less coherent the sound, the louder it must be to achieve acceptable dynamics (subjectively that is). As a result, I think less coherent systems are more likely to be fatiguing.

Maybe one of these alternatives is a place to start. Have you done a spectrum analysis to see if sub+mains FR are matching well?
Old 21st June 2004, 05:42 PM   #3
Banned

Default If a certain "retired" member was still here.....

He could answer some of those questions. Might have to go in the "best hi-fi salesman" thread.

But yes....it can make you sick.

Jocko
Old 21st June 2004, 05:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Your right in everyway, integration is a key issue and i dont like car hi-fi in general for sound quality, my line of thinking is------
Cars are noise anyway, to over come the wind, road, traffic, and general sounds on the roads we need to have a little more bass than i would have in the home audio set up, But not much more, maybe 3 db than is accurate.
I have a 15 inch ATC subwoofers in my main room and it can created much better and deeper bass than my car system, and i have never been bored or sick with that! so am thinking is it me?
Am i a fuddy duddy now?
Does anybody else suffer from fituge as i do in a car?
I am not the only one as all my friends suffer the same effects and complain of this fituge, You know what the problem is we make subwoofers and its hard to sell something you cant stand to listen to!LOL
Old 22nd June 2004, 08:51 PM   #5
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default reply

Getting bored of bass untill it makes u sick has happened to me.

Like when u get that very boomy echoey one note bass going 'oom oom oom' all the time can give u a headace.

But also i've felt sick from a soundsystem in a car that hit so hard it felt like some was punching my chest and squeezing my throat.
And that was 1 of my crazy m8s who tried out 2 of his pa EV SB180 subscoop bass bins in his estate car.LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elvsb180.jpg (19.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 22nd June 2004, 11:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I get the same feeling you describe. I also get "bored" as you say, when listening to headphones in the same way.

I havent actually read the magazine article that describes the effect, but I read a webpage today with a circuit to counter it.

Dont know if this is related...

http://headwize.com/projects/cmoy1_prj.htm
Old 23rd June 2004, 12:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've heard of infrasonic weaponry before, but it's always seemed like more of an urban myth. However, these articles seem to point towards negative effects of subsonic frequencies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2309505.stm

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993680

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns9999371

:)ensen
Old 23rd June 2004, 03:19 AM   #8
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

There is a research company in my home town of Huntsville, AL that does a lot of testing for aerospace and government projects. They at one time had a huge transducer for creating pressure waves to test structural stability or something. Anyways, this device I'm told was capable of making everyone in the building sick if tuned down to the appropriate freq. Plus many people can get sick at concerts if standing too close to the subs on the floor, seen that more than once. So yes, it can physically make you ill.
Old 23rd June 2004, 03:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well my boss is always tell me about infrawave and how dangerous they are, If its so important to music why does it make me sick after a hour or so? The bass is very tight and sealed its just very loud at times, thats more me than anything else, The Subs are sealed not vented, so there is no port to blame,I also get sick with Headphones on for to long, but only the sealed back type. I am listing to brass band music and some drum and bass, they both make me wanna vomite after an hour or so.
Old 23rd June 2004, 05:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Be carefull.....Be very carefull. your system may be able to reproduce the "Brown Note".

Hide this!Advertise here!