Rear speakers, yes or no?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I put 2 lj audio 6" speakers in the front of my wifes 94 nissan altima powered by about 75wRMS a peice. No speakers in the back. It really does sound good. The imaging is pretty impressive..there are some things that actually sound like they are coming from behind..over all i'm pretty impressed with the transparency of the speakers...

..seriously though you shell out the dough for YOU and yours to enjoy the music on a day to day basis...the people in the back are just there for temporary transportation anyways ;)

I'm going to put a couple infinity 6.5" speakers in my truck once i get a few questions answered from the fine people here

Reasons for rear speakers (in no order):

1. Surround sound for DVD playback and digital radio?.
2. DVD-A system
3. SACD system
4. Rear fill
5. Tailgating (speakers in an SUV liftgate)
6. Make system loud as possible
7. Cater towards backseat passengers

I currently don't use rear speakers. I probably will add some to create a surround sound system in the future once digital radio, DVD-A and SACD take off in the car market. I like to listen to my music as though it was being played on a stage infront of me, which is why I think only front speakers are necessary.

"I like to listen to my music as though it was being played on a stage infront of me"

I believe a front sound stage is what EVERYONE wants :)...thats another advantage of just having 2 front speakers as noted above...looking to the future though i do see a need for rear speakers when you sink the dough for the surround units inside cars..but just call it an upgrade :)

right now most stock radio/speakers don't really care about "sound stage", "imaging", and all those crazy demands we might have...

WE HAVE SPOKEN...FRONT SPEAKERS ONLY!

BUT!
1) get good quality speakers! (jl audio & infinity kappas are nice and reasonably priced)
2) give them proper amplification! (we're talking RMS wattage don't even pay attention to that max garbage)
3) Get some baffles or sound dampening material to seal off the back of the speaker from the front. This will increase your midbass and the baffle/sound dampener will keep your doors from rattling when those super-powered speakers are thumpin along...

i like rear speakers :)

u cant put a goot bass driver at the front of a car
car is not your living room , no matter what you will do it will never sound as a good home system , thats because the acoustics in the car suck :dead:

surround shmurround , who needs it :tongue:
with all the road noise do u really care where the sound come from??
most of the time car audio freaks are making their system loud and dont care about surround or what amp , class a ,b blah blah blah

most of the time the front speakers are positioned inside the dours and very low , some of u probably got those small tweeters also -those are not playing music , they are making noise :)

i think a good car system is 2 front speakers , 2 rear speakers and a sub , and a good crossover network / equalizers

u can see many threads in solid state and chip amps forum about comparing one amp to another or one cable to another, imho most of them sound the same , i'm glad car audio freaks are not into this , for now at list ;)

Reasons for rear speakers (in no order):

Everybody else has them?

There seems to be a consensus growing.

While I personally agree with sss that soundstage is way overemphasized in car audio, full-range rears add do confusion.

Anyone wanting to experiment? I've had good results:

- letting rear midbass speakers roll off naturally, and omitting rear tweeters.
- using small woofers with 6db low-pass filters in the 250-600 Hz range.

There is always a yes and no camp, am more do what you want!
I have semi rear speakers, i have 4 keval B&W cones from the CDM NT speakers, there in the back panels so there not on the rear shelf, so they add to the channel panning effect, but they also add to the total slam factor, loudness, i dont like to say it but if done well its add nothing and takes nothing anyway, it should sound as natural as possible, so you dont hear the rears more than the front, But who cares whos in the back! LOL

keep in mind the website mantra:
"projects by the fanatics, for the fanatics."

If your front speakers are only producing "noise" then you bought sorry speakers..noone to blame but yourself for that. If you are going to get rear speakers then the midbass backfill is the way to go..although if you get 2 GOOD fronts (can't emphasize that enough) then a sub should pick up the rest of the lower frequencies.
Unless you have actually gone with just the 2 front speakers it's hard to say anything against it. Just because most people have back speakers doesn't really mean anything either. Does the term "stock" mean anything to anyone...it means hey i can do much better than this.

Good set of fronts and a sub in the trunk are all you need.
I have a 7in. set of Vifa PL's ($50) running in the front and they are solid down to 70hz. I have a sub in the trunk doing 70 down.
Bass sounds like it is up front. Right now the PL's are crossed at 3150 with some Quarts in the A-pillar and it sounds decent.
I will have some mid speakers (DLS) in as soon as I get around to fixing my amp.

For a good cheap front stage definitely look at Vifa/Peerless speakers and building a DIY set. They have a lot in 4 ohm now.

I think u only need rear speaker if passengers sit in the rear or for a surround sound effect if u have a in car DVD and screen.

So get both decent 2 way or 3 way components for front and back and a couple of subwoofers in the boot.

But cut all the bass below 200hz out of the speakers and make the subs produce it only.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.