What Q box to match car room gain?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No car is exactly the same but the usual assumption is that a car cabin offers 12db/octave of boost down 3db at 70Hz so you can probably get away with a Q of .707 centered around 70-75Hz. The thing is that most people find "flat" bass in a car too thin, so you can up the Q quite a bit and get more punch around 90Hz (where the chest thump is felt)

My liking in that department is 0.900 or so around 60Hz with little to no equing.

Hope this helps!
Sébastien

tool49 said:
No car is exactly the same but the usual assumption is that a car cabin offers 12db/octave of boost down 3db at 70Hz so you can probably get away with a Q of .707 centered around 70-75Hz. The thing is that most people find "flat" bass in a car too thin, so you can up the Q quite a bit and get more punch around 90Hz (where the chest thump is felt)

My liking in that department is 0.900 or so around 60Hz with little to no equing.

Hope this helps!
Sébastien

Im thinking of using the Linkwitz Transform to adjust the F3 point and the Q so I just need to experiment really, and find out what I like best. I like low bass, so ill probably try an F3 point of about 30Hz, with a low Q of about 0.5 so it hopefuly wont have too much of a peak.

:eek: Tempest in a Fiesta!!! 10 inches would be OK for that, and a heck of a lot cheaper and smaller.

As mentioned, there is no set Q for a car interior. I would expect a Fiesta to have a high-Q response as it's not well damped, so to match properly you need a low-Q sub.

As a rule of thumb, take the longest dimension of the cabin and that will be the wavelength where room gain begins. You usually need an additional 6dB boost or so to make up for road noise, or just use some of the room gain to give you your boost.

Frequency = 344 / Dimension (in m)

richie00boy said:
:eek: Tempest in a Fiesta!!! 10 inches would be OK for that, and a heck of a lot cheaper and smaller.

As mentioned, there is no set Q for a car interior. I would expect a Fiesta to have a high-Q response as it's not well damped, so to match properly you need a low-Q sub.

As a rule of thumb, take the longest dimension of the cabin and that will be the wavelength where room gain begins. You usually need an additional 6dB boost or so to make up for road noise, or just use some of the room gain to give you your boost.

Frequency = 344 / Dimension (in m)

I like to go OTT. I want to reach <20Hz. I may use a Tumult if I can afford one...

Thanks for the formulae.

I think he means a sealed box. Which you would have no option but to use if you intend on using a Tempest in a Fiesta.

I do hope you are going to do something decent with the sound from the front of the car, i.e. bass-mid and treble of suitable quantity and quality to match the Tempest, else it will be quite a novelty at first but soon become tiring.

richie00boy said:
I think he means a sealed box. Which you would have no option but to use if you intend on using a Tempest in a Fiesta.

I do hope you are going to do something decent with the sound from the front of the car, i.e. bass-mid and treble of suitable quantity and quality to match the Tempest, else it will be quite a novelty at first but soon become tiring.

Yes, there is going to be a whole "system" when I can afford it, I cant just have a hugely expensive subwoofer and keep the factory speakers.

Um..... That's what I did apparently. I think my factory 6 speakers on my 96 Civic coupe EX sound pretty good. Anyway I had never heard a real good one before. Does BMW 3-series factory speakers system consider good? My aunt had brought a 325 with everything included. If it is good then I can compare my car with her's. hehe:D

Matttcattt wrote:

You wouldnt get a very infinite baffle in a car... Or do you mean mounted in the parcel shelf?

and richie00boy replied:

There are ALWAYS other options!

I meant using the entire trunk as the enclosure, however that comes about. In sedans, that means woofer in the parcel shelf or against the back seat. In hatchbacks, that means in the parcel shelf.
Either way, a solid baffle and adequate surrounding reinforcement is assumed. Still simpler and less trunk space lost compared to other systems.

As Matttcattt mentioned, it technically isn't always an IB situation. This would be unquestionable IB for the Tempest:

Tempest IB

However, trunks *can* easily be >4x the Vas of an average woofer, or pair of woofers. The Tempest has a rather large Vas, but the trunk of even a Fiesta is large enough not to raise the Qts appreciably. You're left with a nice, gradual rolloff.

No, it isn't a well-sealed enclosure. More lossy than an aperiodic even. But the fact remains they *do* often work well. I guess it seems like heresy to put so little effort and thought into installing such a nice woofer.

Never the less, I stand by my dozen+ years of practical experience as a professional installer, and restate that this type of install consistently returned better LF (below 40Hz) performance than other types. The only exception would be a couple of electronically assisted (poles shifted by Leach filter, like LT) systems done by friends. They both had great LF, so that would be perfectly consistent.

To put my money where my mouth is, I've done it in every install for myself and I'll most likely be doing it again in my current ongoing installation. Midbass will be sealed...

To get back on the original topic, I had better results interfacing large subs with LPF frequencies in the 40-60Hz range to avoid excitation associated with cabin gain.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.