Broken Alpine - need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I have a question about what to do with a broken alpine amplifier (mrv-f407), which is in otherwise mint condition. Apparently one of my 6x9 wires was pulled down by a piece of luggage in my trunk, which shorted the + and - wires together. The amp immediately went into protect mode and blew my d-block fuse (30 Amp). The amp's "power" indicator light glowed constant red (should be green). I fixed the speaker wire, and put a new fuse in the d-block. It immediately blew again upon turning the head unit on. I had the amp checked out locally for $25. They told me 2 FET's required replacing and would cost $158. They said it was so much because the parts are hard to come by from Alpine. Does this seem right? Is there anywhere else I could get it fixed cheaper? It was about a $450 amp new retail, although I paid less online around 4 years ago. It would be a shame to see this amp wasted. I do not know what else to do with it though? Would someone who can fix it be willing to buy it for around $40-50? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dont worry, The Fet transistors are not that expensive and you can get them from any good radio spares shop, get a muitimetre and test the pins on the legs on all your transistors! the one with no reading is your goosed FET's you can desolder them yourself and replace them with the same fets yourself, Its not gonna cost you $140 bucks, if you find the blow fets and remove them the other channel should work, if a little distorted, but get the number of the fets and orders them and fix it yourself, it not that bad so cheer up!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.