Amps mounted on speaker boxes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes it can by applying DC magnetic fields to the toroids.

But it they are magnetically shielded should be OK.

If you suspect a problem fit a piece of steel sheeting
to the inside surface of the cabinet wall the amplifier
is going to be mounted on, not ideal but should work.

:) sreten.

a practical assessment from maylar :

Much more of an issue is the vibration. Solder joints and lead attachments don't like long term vibration stresses.

I agree that magnetic interference is bound to be minimal or inconsequential.

However, the idea is to build a non-resonant box. A strong, well-braced enclosure should not vibrate enough to cause any problems.

I mounted many, many amps to woofer boxes "back in the day." Never had any failures that coud be attributed to the location.

Tim

Yes it will effect the amps, firstly ventilation, a car amp should have some air under the unit as this allow some air flow over the chassis, car amps are driven hard and need cooling, the vibrations and minimal and would not really effect its life span, the magentic plates on subwoofers have a 8 symbol spread, if the amps behind the plate thats not to good for the transformer, but honestly who would know or care, practically i would mount the amp away from the sub box, the best way is to have the amp as close to the battery and the sub cable longer, more power is lost from the battery to the amp than the amp to the sub, but at the end of the day, if its to much trouble , then just go ahead and bolt it on the sub box, just give it some spacers for ventilation thats all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.