Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2004, 03:43 PM   #1
MrBig is offline MrBig  United States
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Ever heard of an amp bypassing remote from the head unit?

Question: My friends spilled water while camping on my speaker amplifier which ofcourse blew the fuse as it is supposed to do. We didn't realize it at first and it was working then puttered out with a screach.

After replacing the fuse it seemingly works fine, except that I think it has bypassed the remote and is now always on and drawing current form the battery, thus not allowing me to start my car without a jump. Stupid problem to have but I was wondering if anyone has heard of that ever ever happening.

Thanks,
Mr Big
Old 27th May 2004, 09:58 PM   #2
maylar is offline maylar  United States
diyAudio Member

The remote circuit is pretty high impedance usually, so it's entirely possible to short it out ("bypass it") with water. Might wanna take it apart and dry it with compressed air or something.
Old 4th June 2004, 09:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the tip but its already dry

Thankyou for the response, the unit has had two weeks to dry do you have any suggestions for replacing or repairing the remote unit. Id rather not buy a new one if I have any chance of saving this one, I suppose I could make a manual remote through the power channel but thats not terribly safe for the amp either.

Thanks again for the help
Old 7th June 2004, 02:20 PM   #4
pape is offline pape  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the same problem with one of my amps, just stays on all the time. I really haven't time to troubleshoot it. I will probably play with it in the next few days. I will let you know if I find anything out.
Old 7th June 2004, 10:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Let me know what you find. As for my situation my battery ended up being damaged so I had to replace it. I decided to test the amp out on the new battery it has been in there for four days and hasn't caused it to die yet, but it still seems like its on even though it responds correctly to the remote line as far as when to play music and when not to. So maybe the batter breaking was caused by or just a STRANGE EXPENSIVE coincedince. I don't know if that will help you but let me know what you find on your situation. Always disconnect your battery when playing with your amp kids HA.
Old 8th June 2004, 12:10 PM   #6
pape is offline pape  United States
diyAudio Member

That is why I added the fused distribution block to the trunk. Now I can just pop the fuse out and pop it back in

Hide this!Advertise here!