Sub Setup for a Jeep, need help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2004, 10:51 AM   #1
Barq is offline Barq  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sub Setup for a Jeep, need help!

Hey guys,
Just want to be honest and say i dont know too much about car audio, but im looking to add some bass to my system, im running a kenwood deck and Infinities up front, and ive been told that 2 12's in a bandpass and a 1200 watt amp would bump pretty well, any suggestions??

Thanks a bunch!!
Old 21st May 2004, 04:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Avoid a bandpass box like the plague. Although highly efficient, they usually sound terrible as they are not designed correctly. yes thats right most stuff that is pre-fabbed is not correctly designed and massproduced to sound terrible.

What you want to do is first state your goals and expectations

1. do I want to have a trunk when I'm done?
2. what kind of music do I listen to?
3. Budget?
4. type of sound you like, boomy or tight accurate bass?

In a jeep which is a relatively small vehicle, a pair of 10"s, or a single 12" and a 500W-1000W amp would suffice.
Old 21st May 2004, 06:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply,

Well i want to spend between 250 and 400 dollars, this is my first system, and i dont mind losing the little trunk i have. I listen to techno and rock music. I found out today that a guy down at "Car Toys", the car audio place here in colorado, owes my dad for a freebie he gave him. All i need to do is give him what i want, WHat would be some good brand names and specs to look for? And what type of box should i get? I want some boom boom, but i dont want it to sound like junk.
Old 21st May 2004, 07:11 PM   #4
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you checked out JL Audio's line of stealthboxes? IIRC a shipmate of mine put one in his jeep and it sounded OK.

Security in open-top vehicles is something you will want to take into consideration.
Old 21st May 2004, 07:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yep, i plan on getting my box bolted down, nad hooking up a proximity alarm. Whats a decent entry level amp to look at?? Are JL subs any good? how about inifiniy subs??
Old 21st May 2004, 09:22 PM   #6
DC Dave is offline DC Dave  United States
diyAudio Member

Wranglers are not the easiest vehicles to put a versitile subwoofer system into, but it can be done. I found this box for a TJ on Ebay which might you some ideas as to what can be done.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I like the idea of incorporating the sub into the center console. This way you still have your trunk which can hold allot of gear in a jiffy (tools, parts, coolers etc) if you flip up or remove the back seat. (If you are in CO, I hope you not just confining your Jeep to the pavement )

You might also want to take some measures to protect against the weather, (i.e. instead of carpet, use vinyl or truck bed spray liner to cover the box.) just in case.

JL makes some very good subs, never played around with infinity.
The size amp you need really depends on what driver(s) you're using.
Hope this is of some help
Dave
Old 21st May 2004, 09:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply, I have a YJ< so that box wouldent fit my car. but i do really like that idea, However i see a few problems with that box, I dont see the actual sub being that protected from sharp objects, or people sitting in the back. So i hear that JL is the way to go. So is a custom Box going to be my best bet?? I could go for 2 12" JL's, but what would i need to push those so they bump fairly hard??

Thanks !
Old 21st May 2004, 09:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I Guess what im really looking for here guys are specific subs for a entry - mid level system, What type of box i should go for, and how much power i would need, and what amp would deliver at a good price?
Old 26th May 2004, 09:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, the problem you're going to run into with dropping a giant box and dual subs into your Jeep is you'll end up having too much "bump." I bought an Eclipse dual 12" setup for my Cherokee. I brought it back the next day and traded it for a single 10". The duals just moved too much air and didn't sound good unless I disconnected one of them.

All I've got in my XJ now is a pair of 6.5"s and the 10" in a .75 sealed box on a 210W amp (running @ 2 Ohms instead of 4, so probably pushing about 380 - 400W). I listen to rock, punk, some trip hop.

My advice, having been through the "let's stuff as many speakers as I can into my truck" phase, for your YJ is a single 10" or 12" in a small sealed cabinet, .75 - 1ft^3. My rig, all Eclipse, set me back $400 and it handily destroys half the dual speaker setups I've seen around here. Kids around here aren't too bright though. But you don't have to spend $1,000 to get a decent sounding system is what I'm getting at. If you want people for two blocks around to hear your doors rattling themselves apart, get a 2,000W dual 12" setup. If you want your stereo to sound good, be reasonable. And you can always add more if one isn't enough for your taste.

I don't know what else to recommend for a speaker as I haven't actually owned anything else. I've heard really good things about the Infinity Reference 10s as far as price vs performance. Adire and Dayton seem to be pretty common for the self-builders. I think my next sub will be a Dayton.

Just make sure you don't end up with some Walmart prefab cabinet. Just thinking about those things makes me shiver.
Old 27th May 2004, 10:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I got a killer deal on an infinity kappa 12", $149 retail from sounddomain.com, compared to $349 from ultimate electronics and some otner big name dealers. I am really happy with it, especially since I dropped $99 for my last sub and it was 1/4 the sub that this one is.

...holy cow, I just checked their site and it's back up to $299. I searched on yahoo, though and there are several places that have it for around $150, just search yahoo shopping for "Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1"

Hide this!Advertise here!