Best competition high-grade, affordable sub system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need either 2 12", or 1 18" or 15" competition sub(s) with the best box possible and the recommended (by whoever ;) ) amp to go with it. I am looking to spend no more than $750 for the entire package listed above. Out of these brands: Ma audio, adire audio, phoenix gold, r. fosgate, kicker, audiobahn, soundstream, or infinity, or any other better brands, which sub(s), box, and amp would be best for the job?

Thanks for your input,
-Mike

might want to look at TREO
www.treoonline.com
I enjoy mine they are efficient AND have sound quality.
they are good asl long as you keep the excursion down... (the tensile leads are the first thing to go:( ) their entry line sub is around $100.

As for an amp..
A) if it has the power rating printed on the front of the amp don't buy it. that is the first waring sign.

B) expect to spend at least .75 cents to 1.50 a watt. if it is cheeper than that avoid it.

C) as for the amps you chose fosgate, kicker. also take a look at JBL their line of amps are nice.

and if you plan on building your own box this program is awsome
:smash:
WINISDBeta
http://www.scotronics.co.za/software.htm
It shows you the responce curev of the box you build based on it.
(note click on the units, cubic meters ect., to change them from metric to english)
thats all the info I got to offer.

I'd definitely recommend Adire Audio. I have a Brahma 15 and have had several experiences with the Brahma 12 (4 friends have/had them, sealed boxes, ported). Great sounding subs with the ability to get very loud.

Resonant Engineering also makes some awesome subs. They are licensed to use the XBL^2 technology like the Adire Audio Brahmas. The RE XXX series uses this technology.

If you have a lot of room (i.e. SUV/Truck), I'd go with the RE 18" XXX and a beefy amp. Somewhere around 1k or more. Then build a giant ported box.

However, if you don't have the room, a Brahma 15 would also be a great choice.

Question bout Adire's car stuff, I had their Tumult, tried to use it with my home steroe, car stereo AND PA/DJ system in various enclosures and found that it was too inefficient for my needs (and yes I had plenty of amp power). Is the brahma any better?

For the woofer recommenation, I recommend the 15" TCSounds/Kove Audio Z15D thats on clearance at partsexpress for less then $200. I have one and its awesome. I have yet to bottom it and its handles 1050 watts continuous.

eRiCdWoNg said:
Question bout Adire's car stuff, I had their Tumult, tried to use it with my home steroe, car stereo AND PA/DJ system in various enclosures and found that it was too inefficient for my needs (and yes I had plenty of amp power). Is the brahma any better?

I haven't used the Tumult before so I can't comment personally. Do you still have the Tumult? I'll swap ya :D I believe the Brahma 15 is slightly more efficient, although the difference is probably negligible.

Perhaps your needs are just too much. Although I think most bassheads would be quite happy a Tumult with a good amount of power and a ported box. I've used my Brahma 15 in my house and car, both ported with 250 watts and 1kw. The 1kw in my car is tons of bass. I barely use any of the subs potential for daily useage. The 250watts in my house was decent, but if I'm going to trade out my Tempest for the Brahma I'd want a little more power. Amazingly enough, a Brahma 12 in a mid sized sealed box with 250watts in my house was impressive. I thought the sub and box combination would be very inefficient and weak with that power, but I was quite wrong.

What did Adire recommend? Did you try tuning it higher? How far before the 36mm of excursion? Perhaps a Brahma would work better for you since it has a higher FS. It is also possible you clipped your amp before the sub hit its limits. I know I can't get max excursion out of my Brahma with my 1kw amp unless I play far below tuning. Sealed is a different story... :D

eRiCdWoNg said:
I ran a Crown Macro-Tech 5000vz on that woofer and it bottomed out far before the claimed 36 mm excursion. It did have some sound in the subsonic frequencies, but other then that it was inefficient as balls. It sacrificed EVERYTHING for the down and low.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.