legacy Car Audio Amplifiers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2004, 08:53 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zx3chris
SQ and SPL are two terms used often in car audio -- SQ refers to sound quality, where as you tune your bass to sound really good, and natural and not overpowering. SPL is where you tune your car just to be very loud, and heard from far away -- often it uses a huge slot port, tuned >50hz which results in a horrible boomy response, but is very loud. In any event, SQ sacrifices some loudness for better frequency / transient response. I always tune for SQ becuase i like to enjoy my music, not feel it

as far as my setup, its simply a sealed fiberglassed box, with acoustuff inside. About 1.5cubes per jl10w0 getting 300w rms each (only rated for 125rms but handles 300 fine)

-chris
Old 12th May 2004, 09:34 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zx3chris
SQ and SPL are two terms used often in car audio -- SQ refers to sound quality, where as you tune your bass to sound really good, and natural and not overpowering. SPL is where you tune your car just to be very loud, and heard from far away -- often it uses a huge slot port, tuned >50hz which results in a horrible boomy response, but is very loud. In any event, SQ sacrifices some loudness for better frequency / transient response. I always tune for SQ becuase i like to enjoy my music, not feel it

as far as my setup, its simply a sealed fiberglassed box, with acoustuff inside. About 1.5cubes per jl10w0 getting 300w rms each (only rated for 125rms but handles 300 fine)

-chris

and you get 130dB at 40Hz with the cabin gain?
Old 12th May 2004, 03:37 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

easily. 130db in a car is easy, there is tons of cabin gain. I once heard a rule of thumb that was once the hairs on the back of your head start to bounce youve hit ~135db, and my 2 little 10s do that easily -- My SPL meter goes to 131db and ive also maxed that out

-chris
Old 12th May 2004, 07:40 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Right. My horn is going to fire out the back of my car, for external listening. Thats why I need a huge amp. I realise I could easily get low frequencies and high output with cabin gain. I will also have a couple of 15's (probably the Adire Tempest or Tumult or Brahma 15), with a Linkitz Transform for internal listening.

If no one says otherwise, im going to set my heart on the JBL GTO1201.1 amp. I wonder if I can get a discount if I buy 8+...
Old 12th May 2004, 11:40 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Just where do you plan to fit all this stuff? Especially a horn, you cannot fit one for bass frequencies inside a car!

-chris
Old 13th May 2004, 10:10 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zx3chris
Just where do you plan to fit all this stuff? Especially a horn, you cannot fit one for bass frequencies inside a car!

-chris
Im getting a van.
Old 17th May 2004, 04:39 PM   #27
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
my setup?

the subs are supposed to handle only about less than 100 watts. I overdriven it to 170 watts RMS per sub.

each sub is housed in an independent 0.75cu ft chamber and the front of the woofer is slot loaded. (basically, the front baffle has a "wall" around the three sides, one left open for the sound to come out, the walls are about 2" high) so the result is much like a bandpass cab. leave the rest to cabin gain.

note: my sub box is facing down so the front baffle, walls, and the floor make up the front chamber.
Old 4th June 2004, 03:13 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
are legacy capacitors any good?
Old 6th June 2004, 04:27 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
anybody have any feedback on legacy caps?
Old 6th June 2004, 04:36 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Anything with the name "Legacy," "Pyle," "Power Acoustik," etc is automatically a piece of s**t.

It is just the cheapest of the cheap....you really need to stay away from them!

I don't know how those companies get away with what they do...I was recently enlisted to repair a Pyle amp and it was the worst POS I have ever seen in my life...tiny PCB power traces, 2 X 1000W rating (10 amp fuse ). Finally got it working again and it sounded like poop too. They are a waste of time, bottom line.

-Matt

Hide this!Advertise here!