Amp goes into protection mode when speakers are connected to crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, i have some serious car stereo weirdness going on, and I am really scratching my head and need to be pointed in the right direction.

I installed my car stereo about 3 months ago. I did not cut any corners (build is below). Two weeks ago the amp started going into protect mode when I turned up the volume to a decent level. Not blasting but louder so I can hear when I am driving. On the deck anything above 22 /35 causes the amp go to into protection mode. The amp gains are set at about 1/2 way.

I recently isolated it to the front passenger side, and disconnected ch2 speakers. I could then turn up the volume. I assumed based on my high level testing that it had to be the crossover. So I ordered a new one.

Tonight I did some extensive troubleshooting and had some interesting results. I moved the RCA's to each channel and also tried each channel. The results are the same regardless of RCA or channel, so it leads me to believe it is not the wiring or a specific RCA on the amp.

At a higher volume with the front right crossover connected to the amp (no speakers connected to crossover) the amp will go into protection mode every time. If I directly connect the front right speaker directly to the amp it goes as loud as it needs to go, but as soon as i connect the speakers to the crossover and then to the amp it goes into protection mode, every time.

For a while during my testing I was able to connect the speakers to the crossover and then connect to the amp and place on the terminals directly on the woofer and tweeter terminals of the crossover and it would work, but it seems as though that is not consistent as now sometimes it goes into protection mode when testing it this way.

Now what is strange is the front left was working just fine, but I disconnected the crossover to troubleshoot it and now regardless of which crossover I am using it is going into protection mode! Before disconnecting the front left crossover, I was able to take the amp wire and touch it to the terminals of the front left crossover and it was working just fine, EXCEPT if I were to switch the crossover to +3db it would go into protection mode consistently.

The same for the front right side - while troubleshooting it would intermittently work with the speakers connected to the crossover and the crossover connected to the amp UNTIL I would switch the crossover to +3db, then amp would go into projection mode, every time.

There are three settings on the crossover -3,0, +3db

As I said it is very consistent now. Regardless of channel or RCA at higher volume the amp will go into protection mode when connecting to any crossover. I forgot to mention that I received two brand new crossovers from Crutchfield tonight. I thought the crossover was the issue but it does not seem to be. During my testing one of the new crossovers actually started smoking.

If I connect the amp directly to any of the speakers it will work just fine, but when using the crossover it goes into protection mode, every time.

I even redid the connections on the speaker wires that connect to the crossovers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Head Unit - Kenwood DNX573SSKU
Amp - Alpine - PDX Series 1600W Class D 5 Channel
Front Speakers - Pioneer TS-Z65CH
Rear Speakers - JBL GX602
4 gauge Power & Ground Wire
New speaker wire run for all speakers
RCA's Krystal Kable 2 Channel 6M Twisted Pair RCA Cable 20' / Krystal Kable 4 Channel 6M Twisted Pair RCA Cable 20'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.