Alpine pdx-1.1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The following are notes from the only one I think I ever repaired. As a side note, I will probably not be helping with any more of the alpine amps like this.

Notes (forgive any typos, it was not intended for others to read)

ICs 304, 306 and 308 failed. 304 and 306 were both acting like a 35 ohm resistor across their power/ground terminals.

IC308 failed along with the FETs that it was driving.

D303 failed.

R414. 414 and 415 failed. They are 6.8 ohm 0603 resistors.

To get the amp apart, remove all of the bottom cover screws but don't try to remove the cover yet. Remove the 2 recessed screws from the front panel. Lift the bottom cover slightly and snap the plastic panel off of the front of the amp. Remove the rest of the screws in the metal panel and remove the panel. Carefully lift up in the bottom cover. You have to be careful because there is a short ribbon cable. Disconnect the ribbon from either board. The brown latch on the connector lifts up about 1/16" to release the cable. Be careful when doing this.

The amp will not power up without the RCA board being connected. There are regulators on the preamp board that have thermal gap pad between the board and the cover. Monitor the temperature of these regulators if you remove the board from the cover.

This board is at least 3 layers so if you pull a via, expect pain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.