Boost the Bluetooth signal between head and phone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a JVC KD-X341BT head unit mounted in my boat in the saloon and I sit in my cockpit 3m away to play music via a wifi network (I have a travel router and hard drive that I control via the phone and send to the unit via BT). Unfortunately the signal drops unless I hold the phone to line-of-sight of the head unit. The wall between the unit and cockpit is not that thick (wood and fibreglass) but of course there are other cables running through the boat that may affect the signal. The phone is an Android J7, a mid-range Asian phone that should be more than up to the job.

I'm looking for some kind of Bluetooth repeater unit to put between them to boost the signal. I don't want to plug anything into the aux input on the head unit, just a wireless device that will boost the signal between the two units, ideally something that will run off 5v.

There are loads of units under the search term 'bluetooth range extender' on Amazon but I can't work out if they're what I'm looking for. Most seem to be either powered by mains voltage or are designed to plug the audio device directly into it.

I'm a bit confused. Any suggestions on solutions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.