RF T40001BD Audio MosFet Vs. Rail Switchers MosFet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a rockford fosgate t40001bd on my workbench.
The power supply has completely exploded, I have already replaced the drivers and all the mosfets with all the gate resistors.
Now the power supply turns on and it works great.
The amp instead has only the broken audio mosfets with their drivers, but the rail switchers are intact.
I would like to know, if I have to replace even the rail switchers (which are in a bank completely separate from the audio) or I can only replace the audio and its drivers.
I would also like to know why these amplifiers always break only either the audio part or the part of the rail switchers, never both.

In the past I have left it up to the customer. I would suggest replacing all, BUT I have left the original rail switchers in place on numerous occasions with no problems.

It is a lot of devices to change in this big of an amp, sometimes the customer will opt to leave them and save money. If they test good likely you'll be ok with leaving them. You can always drive it hard after the repair and test it.

I am not sure about the second question. Most of these amps are run at low voltage without the proper charging systems. Maybe this can cause abnormal switching. Blown sub can take out audio FET's, I am not 100% sure why they fail separately.

In the past I have left it up to the customer. I would suggest replacing all, BUT I have left the original rail switchers in place on numerous occasions with no problems.

It is a lot of devices to change in this big of an amp, sometimes the customer will opt to leave them and save money. If they test good likely you'll be ok with leaving them. You can always drive it hard after the repair and test it.

I am not sure about the second question. Most of these amps are run at low voltage without the proper charging systems. Maybe this can cause abnormal switching. Blown sub can take out audio FET's, I am not 100% sure why they fail separately.
This amplifier is part of a batch of 4 pieces, all exploded in the same way (rail switchers or audio mosfet + power supply exploded).
In all 4 units, I had to replace mosfet + gate resistors + drivers (mmbta56 + mmbta06), while in the amplification boards I had to replace the mosfet (rail switchers or audio mosfet) with some drivers (PZTA56 + PZTA06 and sometimes even MMBT5087L) FORTUNATELY the other parts were working.
In any case, the repair of each amplifier lasted more than 6/7 hours, impressive, but above all stressful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.