Rockford Fosgate 250m2, badly beaten up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
seems to be so.

i have measured somethings which i understand and im capable of. (not much tools)
mainly working areas i´ve touched, i need more time with this thing and need to measure few things which popped up my mind today.

i´m far from pro as you see
but yeah, really thought it was bad TO92 cause it measured so much different

To fix this amplifier you must be pro and with good knowledge at Rockford Fosgate products. this amplifier is sophisticated and not easy for who didn't work with this amplifier before.
if you have the schematic for this model and you understand the diagram i hope you will fix it. you have DC at the output terminal and i am not sure you are search the problem at the right place so far

Im really in dead end.

Q401, Q403 and Q404 are off board, DC is 0.4V, i think this is lowest number with this thing.

if i put Q403 and Q404 on board 42V kicks in, allways pair, dont know which one does it.

You said earlier check all transistors on board, measured (with my vbe matcher) and even changed few without result.

anything i can measure with multimeter?

Check every transistor and resistor shown in the image below.

Attachments

• Clipboard03x.png
    Clipboard03x.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 61
im gonna take different approach. And explanation why i thought one TO92 was broken.

3PqP2ve.jpg

them factory Q408, 407, 406 and 405
there is one guy who looks different.

and my vbe matcher results.

ENMwopI.jpg

one Q405, or MPSA06 pulls 3,49V voltage difference by its own
G4etrRs.jpg

add second and its 16,6mV difference
hJIffbY.jpg

Q408 or MPSA56 pulls 3,3V
jrRhc0u.jpg

add the different looking guy and its 1,138v difference, not good, right.
g9CqE5J.jpg

but thing is new MPSA56 i got can pull only 1,662V by it self
so new MPSA06 are 3,4V range. But paired withing 2mV

my transistor "matcher"
this is my tool, so is measuring vbe waste of time?

amp has now all parts in exept Q408 Q407 Q406 and Q405. dc rests pretty much dead zero
can i measure something from these empty holes?

just my thoughts

Last edited:
did some measurements that Q405-408 has connections.
I dont know was it mistake to turn amp on without these four components cause all components are now on board and amp does not react turning bias pot any more.

Is it still check all transistors on board?
Haven´t heard that buzzing sound anymore and no wandering DC so some component is now really broken.

Gonna get some lunch and start to compare components between channels

factory Q424 Q425 Q404 Q403 on board and looks ok so far.
But if that different looking guy Q407 is on board i get -42v, it pass "universal meter transistor test" but if i change Q408 Q407 to new ones which i bought and leave Q406 Q405 factory i get 500mV DC.
i have feeling these four have to be similar.

Maybe i just have bunch of parts non interchangeable?

i still have to figure out why bias aint working

There is traces on both side of board on TO92´s but on board does not have sleeves to connect both sides.

i had to solder those properly on both sides. Thats why there was so random stuff going on.

channel works again and eight vbe matched transistors gives 16mV of dc out

Qx24 and Qx25.
As my journey is this far im not gonna leave it to 16mV. (sure heat it up properly to see hot numbers later)
What is your opinion now when all transistors are sort of pairs, am i gonna just take just little bit stronger transistor to Qx25 Qx24? and if looking to that another channels, those hot TO92's does it matter for effiency or something else if there aint good pairs? i have all eight allready choosen, just thinking if i take short or long course. Change them all and then Q324 Q325.

In factory i bet they havent choosen any components, just hit them in from same batch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.