Pro Audio drivers, and DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started using pro audio 6's for car audio long before it was common. Eminence Alpha 6 - now actually recommended for car audio and comes in 4 ohm. Many similar drivers marketed for the same purpose. Why on earth anyone would use an 83 dB/w "car" speaker that takes 200 watts to play as loud as an Eminence 6 inch on a stock head unit is beyond comprehension. SPL competition systems have been known to use 10's and 12's - PRV markets their big 100dB/w mids for car as well as pro use. Way too big for most practical systems, but the 6's work very well.

Pro subs typically won't play low enough in small boxes for car use, but it has been done. Not as common as mids and tweets, however. I've been using LAB12's as my car(truck) subs, but I.m not sure I'd call those true pro subs because they are actually closer to a car sub driver than they are anything else.

Actually they do play low enough in practice. If you run your subs hot which most do, the effective crossover frequency rises. Even if it's set to say 60 Hz, the acoustic crossover will be up to 90-ish where an Alpha 6 or similar can get to with a few dB of low end boost in its effective range. You won't even need that if you put them in tuned enclosures which can do that naturally, but most would run them IB in the doors.

Well ... I guess what I was trying to hint at, wasn't really very clear. Being a DIY forum, I was kind of expecting threads about Class D mini amps, like Sure amps, used in fully active set ups with DSP, with the amps mounted right near the speakers if possible. Nor do I hear about tablets, and mini computers being used as head units. Nor about home ribbons and AMTs being used.

On the 1st page, I see Rockford, Alpine, PPI, Audison, MTX, etc, etc ....

It just seems it's any other car audio forum, and not a DIY car audio forum. But I'm not knocking it .... Just finding it a curiosity.

For example, I plan on using Pro drivers in custom enclosures, with AMTs mounted near the dash line. I'm also going to use a single Kappalite 3012LF, in a 3ft ported enclosure, firing through the fold down back seats hole. With a custom programmed mini computer and a touch screen, with a PPI DEQ.8 processor (MiniDSP).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.