Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1 Blown outputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry, I misquoted pin 7; that was pin 6. Pin 7 stays at 0V the whole time.

B+ is at 11.5, and drops to 8v for about 0.5s about 1sec after remote power is applied. It then goes to 11.5v and a few seconds later the relay turns on, then goes back off. The B+ V stays at 11.5v afterwards. Current draw is about 3A and drops to 0.1A after protect kicks in.

Remote is the same as B+.

Why is voltage dropping so far?

To disable the protection (you will need to be very careful in case there is a serious problem), be ready to disconnect power from the amp. You can disable the largest group of protection circuits by either lifting one terminal of D9 or by soldering a bridge between pins 3 and 4 of that IC. Do whichever is easier to do and undo.

Attached is an amp that's similar to yours.

Attachments

• AQ20_SCH.pdf
    291.8 KB · Views: 49
I think the V drop is due to rail caps charging plus current limiting.

The output gate waveforms don't look good to me at all. I get the same garbage on Pins 1, 6, and 12 of both 21844s.

Attachments

• Output Driver waveforms.png
    Output Driver waveforms.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 53
I'm assuming that you disabled the protection and that's why you now have rail voltage (±90v?).

Solder a 10k resistor between the two points shown below. Solder a bridge between pins 2 and 3 of the 21844.

When you drive a 50-100hz signal into the amp, you should have clean audio on the resistor on the output of U3. You should have a square wave swinging ±5v on the output of U4. You should have a 10v square wave swinging from the negative rail up on pin 1 of the 21844.

Attachments

• dwm3640classDdriverboard02img290x1.jpg
    dwm3640classDdriverboard02img290x1.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 56
I did all that and I assume you meant to solder bridge pins 2 and 3 on both of the 21844s?

I don't have any of what you describe as far as waveforms :/

Would the analog audio enter this board? Or does it get converted to digital pulsing in the preamp? I ask because I was trying to find the 100Hz audio wave and it doesn't seem to be present on any of the header pins to this driver board.

Last edited:
Start by confirming that you have supply voltage to all of the op-amps.

Also operate all pots and switches through their entire range with an input signal.while monitoring for audio.

I have a brain the size of a pea and doing two repairs with similar/same amps generally leads to a lot of confusion. That's why I left the other thread alone.

Start by confirming that you have supply voltage to all of the op-amps.

Also operate all pots and switches through their entire range with an input signal.while monitoring for audio.

I have a brain the size of a pea and doing two repairs with similar/same amps generally leads to a lot of confusion. That's why I left the other thread alone.

Ok thanks I will check tomorrow. And no worries - I have the same problem. I have to keep post-its on the amps to keep them straight :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.