Orion 1200D Pulling 4+ amps at idle but does produce sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perry,

3 amps is idle with under 10V. I've just never seen an amp draw this much at idle; doesn't seem right for just the audio section of the board. I admin I could be wrong... The original issue was that the amp wouldn't output audio. The Relay circuit was burned up badly.

Output transistors not heating. Initially the high current draw is the same as it is now; also Sam (barevids who does live amp repair streams on Youtube) always suspects something isn't right when there is that much current draw at idle and he's usually working on much bigger amps...

I guess I'll put it together and run a stress test on it to see what happens.

But first, how do I set the DC offset correctly?

Some big amps (much larger than this one) idle around 8 amps.

It's not normal for idle current to vary with the supply voltage. Does this one still go to 8 amps at 12v? If so, there is no point in stressing it. It has a serious problem.

To set the DC offset, adjust the control to get the output DC voltage (no signal in) to as close to 0.000v DC. ±0.050 is plenty close enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.