Should I run a cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'm relatively novice when it comes to car audio, and this is my first time going all out on a build. I did a big 3 upgrade using 1/0 AWG wire. I installed an optima yellowtop with a 240A stinger alternator with a 250A fuse on the charging cable. Running 2 AWG from the battery to the trunk with a 150A fuse. It hits a fused splitter with 60A fuses per line. 4 AWG wire running to a Cerwin-Vega 200w rms amp for the components up front and a Cerwin-Vega 600w rms amp for the sub. Thinking that the 200w is a class A/B and the 600w is class D. Not sure if it makes a difference. Anyways, when my bass hits really hard, my voltage drops from around 14.5V/14.6V to around 13.5V/13.6V. Should I run a cap to help with these drops? figured I'd ask before I dropped the money on one.

Caps won't help with a voltage drop like that.

The problem may be that he alternator isn't capable of supplying the current. The voltage regulator may not be picking off of the correct point to maintain the correct voltage. Or you may have a voltage drop through some connection point (or all of the above). How much of a difference do you get across the battery vs across the distribution blocks in the rear of the vehicle.

I would install a second battery before I would even consider a capacitor. I have a similar setup as yours 2600watt 6 channel running my 12 door speakers and 1500watt 2 channel for 2 subwoofers and also a 250 amp alternator. At first with a single battery and dual 1/0 welding wire my lights would flash like a disco to the bass (pink floyd drove my electrical system crazy). I couldn't live with that at all, so i installed a second battery wired according to this post ---> Dual battery wiring tutorial (and why) and now my truck's electrical system is happy again. I also installed an isolator in between both batteries. Pay attention to fuse locations and follow them in the article - THEY ARE VERY IMPORTANT!

BTW I know 2x 1/0 guage is Overkill but I'm ok with that.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.