Rockford fosgate punch 75 TO-237-3 Transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I am working on a 1th gen Fosgate Punch 75 I am replacing the output transistors 2N6487 & 2N6490 Mouser has them in stock with a G on the end of the number but I can not find the drivers 2N6728 & 2N5716 in TO-237-3 package. Is there a substitute I can use in their place?

Last edited:
I did read his post, but thanks for looking out.

I have used IRF540 and IRF9540 in these amps many times with no problems. The IRF540 is "N" channel used in the "NPN" location and IRF9540 are "P" channel used in the "PNP" location.

Example: IRF540 "N" channel will be used for 2N6487 "NPN"
Example: IRF9540 "P" channel will be used for 2N6490 "PNP"

I think as long as they are this configuration it will work.

Attachments

• pinout.png
    pinout.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 120
There are one or two amp topologies where swapping out bipolar outputs for mosfets without circuit adjustment is possible. Amp in question is probably using CFP 's - for low voltage drop when the outputs clip. It will run the driver transistors at a higher quiescent current compared to BJT outputs, but require less of them at full drive. This trick only really works for modest size amps - if you try to scale it up to something big it will have problems. Those old RF amps aren't that big by today's standards.

I did read his post, but thanks for looking out.

I have used IRF540 and IRF9540 in these amps many times with no problems. The IRF540 is "N" channel used in the "NPN" location and IRF9540 are "P" channel used in the "PNP" location.

Example: IRF540 "N" channel will be used for 2N6487 "NPN"
Example: IRF9540 "P" channel will be used for 2N6490 "PNP"

Thats good to know but what I need is a sub for the 2N6728 & 2N5716 they are no longer available / obsolete. I think I found a sub for the 2N6728 that is a MPS751 in TO-92 package but I stiil need a sub for 2N5716.:confused:

Screenshot%2044_zpsq7qbnf3z.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.