What is the biggest reason car amps fail?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like others have stated

-Expecting too much out of the amp and bridging them to a load they can't handle / overworking

-Cheap amps that don't hold up well to vehicle vibration and components cracking loose from the board causing electrical chaos

-Loose grounds and too much resistance from thin power cables with poor connections causing higher current draw, overworking and overheating the amp

Even the best solid made amps can fail if they are run at lower than optimum voltage under low impedance loads for long periods of time, circuit protection can only do so much. Even the cheapest made amp will hold up for a respectable period of time if it is given proper voltage, not running too low of an impedance load, and secured properly to prevent excessive vibration rattling its internals apart.

There are several variables, some amps are designed to be more robust and sound better, but there are still crappy beat up Jensen, Power Acoustik, Pyramid, etc amps from the 90s floating around for sale that have never been repaired and are still working. There are also tons of U.S. Amps, Alpine, JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, etc amps floating around that are blown to bits because of abuse. Choose your poison, lol

Last edited:
Valid point... But I wasn't wanting to start peeling back the onion. The question was intended to be generic in nature.
Ok, i understand, but it isn't as simple.
Howewer:

Even the cheapest made amp will hold up for a respectable period of time if it is given proper voltage, not running too low of an impedance load, and secured properly to prevent excessive vibration rattling its internals apart.
[...]
Don't worry... you can always turn the gain down!
Yes, i mean it correct, and i don't will never understand why must to push an amp to the electric limits.
It's a good method for to lose all quality under signal noise, the slew rate, control and damping, and etc..
And te amp lasts less, especially the 80s and 90s amps which are the best..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.