JL Audio 450/4 repair - Need help please!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, new to the forums. I am in need of somone who is familiar with JL Audio slash amps, 450/4 in particular. I apologize in advance for lacking the knowledge that some of you have. I am new to amp repair diagnostics. I don’t have a good local source for repair so I am debating on attempting myself. The amp is useless to me in its current condition so I don’t have much to lose.

I ran too low of an ohm on the front channels and fried some power fets I believe. The low ohm light never came on to my knowledge. Now those channels have severely low output with distortion. I originally thought it was stuck in protect mode however after opening it up I see some visual damage.

Mainly what I need is info on what parts to use for replacement. There are 6 fets burnt and some small diodes or something that are right in front of the fets and burnt as well. Everything else appears to be okay to my untrained eye.

Anybody interested in giving me some direction?

Thanks in advance!!

Does it tell you anything since the channels still had audio output (weak and distorted). Didn’t know if that was a clue or offered insight to someone like yourself with JL experience. Can the outputs short and still have audio output at speaker terminals? Thank you for your time, I can’t find any detailed information like this on the web...

Me too with such knowledge. I’m afraid I’m in over my head I think. Might have to throw in the towel on this one.

Perry - if the little pathways between the fets and resistors gets damaged are they repairable? Mine cooked on the board and while removing them some pathways peeled up/broke. Not sure how big of a deal this is.

They can be repaired/replaced several ways. I'd need to see a good quality photo of the damaged traces (after cleaning all soot from them with acetone (preferred) or alcohol and cotton swabs).

I'm watching and learning (thanks Perry) In cases like this.

If close by - I've created a solder bridge to the component it's supposed to connect to.

If long distance then I've soldered in a bare solid jumper wire of the correct guage to the trace.

I'm interested in other ways to repair missing pads/traces.

They can be repaired/replaced several ways. I'd need to see a good quality photo of the damaged traces (after cleaning all soot from them with acetone (preferred) or alcohol and cotton swabs).

I'm watching and learning (thanks Perry) In cases like this.

If close by - I've created a solder bridge to the component it's supposed to connect to.

If long distance then I've soldered in a bare solid jumper wire of the correct guage to the trace.

I'm interested in other ways to repair missing pads/traces.

Will I also need new rings for the vias (?). Sorry I’m just learning all this terminology.
I have a couple through holes missing the rings. The traces(?) are pretty short but are pretty badly damaged from the gate resistor campfire I had. I’m guessing I will need the wire method.

On a side note, I took this in to the only repair shop I could find in my area only to walk out disgusted and ticked off with how they treated and talked to me. It was so bad my angel of a Wife was about to tear into him!! What a shame he is the only dirtbag I can find to fix this.

Oh yeah, to add insult to injury he pulled a so called “medium sized repairable amp” off the shelf after he stated my 450/4 was such aBIG amp....the amp he shows me was an old rusty Directed paperweight, lol. I told him those belong in the dumpster after they blow. Who pays $100’s to fix a $20 amp?!?! WTH

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.