Making car amplifier SMPS with tl494 + DC Protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another technical question about this i got.

here is how the inverter is working:

12v battery > TL494 High frequency stage > full bridge final stage

now, although, with your help, i managed to change the last stage (full bridge) to get 42 volts....

but, when i checked the voltages on the high-frequency stage, they are still 145 volts-dc.....

it means, that i need to modify these too?....to get it right....

now, looking at the schematic....how can i modify the first stage to make around 50vdc ?

can you help in this?

Thanks again.

Ok !!! got it !

In the light of what N-Channel said,.....I did it again....and now, the high frequency stage output voltages are also in control..... !!!

just another variable and i can turn this inverter into a hi-power power supply !!!

all the credits goes to all of you guyz who helped....thanks again !

really really very helpfull you guyz are.

after all these modifications.....there is a question which came in my mind....that why people dont just buy an inverter and use it as smps ??? !!!

it does have a tap on every single transformer used in it...so, dual supply is not a problem !!!

buy it....modifiy it....and use it !!!

i bet this is gona be much cheaper to do this mod then re-creating the whole new wheel...with lot of manual work like winding ratios and stuff....

Thanks again everybody.
I love this forum.

well...after doing some test and putting the load on the output...the results are hopeless... :(

here is what my settings are and results:

I am using a 1000-watt inverter...
6 mosfets on high-frequency stage driving 3 transformers

8 mosfets on the output stage at 50hz...

i am using a bridge rectifier to convert the AC output from the inverter.

the moment I start to put the load ....load was about 180 watts (36v at 5amp)

high-frequency mosfets gets hot and then get toasted !

even on load wattage, results are bad.

can anyone of you please help me to solve this puzzle?...guide me in the right direction?

please help if you can :(

Thanks again.

i am trying to power my own build microcontroller based current/voltage load user/manager.

I am using a AC power supply with it which is rated 48 volts @ 20amp....from Phoenix Contact.

now, when i use my system with that power supply...everything works fine....

but, i need a 12v converter on high amp...which can give me around 650 watts at 44v (15amps) and stay working.

till now, i have not find any other power solution which can provide that much power except SMPS on this thread...

so, thats what i am trying to achieve...
SMPS seems to work from my earlier experiments...but, on high load, it was kinda choking :)

If portability is the reason you want to go away from your existing AC supply (meaning you don't have access to AC power where you intend to use it) Could you use your inverter to power your existing AC supply? (from pheonix contact) That would provide the means to power your system with a 12 volt battery.

oh ok...now i got your meaning...(sorry)

yes, its a problem to have both....the inverter and the power supply....the weight/volume is a big problem....thats why i wanted to move to SMPS...

my own circuit (the one i am trying to use with this much power) is only around 3"x3" pcb.....with a big cpu type heatsink....and thats it...

adding an smps will make it much more portable then adding an ac power supply and an inverter....

so, thats why i need to have a 'not very big' solution.

I think using ETD49 core is a wrong choice...

looking at this link:

http://www.tauscher.com/html/etd49-etd59.html

ETD49 @ 50Khz can only handle 610 VA (which is around 8 amps at 44 volts)

well....i got to fix it....

Perri Babin mentioned in earlier post to use a toroid but, that specific toroid is not available :(
so, i got stuck with core...

looking at the same like of cores....ETD59 looks better in ratings...which can give me arround 16amps !! (if i do it right :) )

Thats exactly the problem. I bought two torroids from this guy on the forum. I am using the smaller one in my SMPS. I am saving the large one for my next project. Have not seen this guy in a while but you could try and contact him through the forum. They are wound for +- 50 volts. You could use 1/2 the secondary for a single supply of 50 volts. The large one is a monster and could supply 1000 watts. Here is his last post with pics of the torroids...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=476502#post476502

His personal email is also listed....

aliazhar said:
I think using ETD49 core is a wrong choice...

looking at this link:

http://www.tauscher.com/html/etd49-etd59.html

ETD49 @ 50Khz can only handle 610 VA (which is around 8 amps at 44 volts)

well....i got to fix it....

Perri Babin mentioned in earlier post to use a toroid but, that specific toroid is not available :(
so, i got stuck with core...

looking at the same like of cores....ETD59 looks better in ratings...which can give me arround 16amps !! (if i do it right :) )

Hi

I still don't know why you are looking at those pages, if I and Eva told you it is powerfull enough. I got over 700w,1kw peaks with ETD44, so why would bigger core produce less???

luka said:

Hi

I still don't know why you are looking at those pages, if I and Eva told you it is powerfull enough. I got over 700w,1kw peaks with ETD44, so why would bigger core produce less???

to tell you the truth....i am a bit lost....so, i rather stick to toroids as many experts are using it...and follow the instruction or do my own thing...

so, i follow you guyz.....
once its up and running, then i can try other cores too....but, it has to work properly first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.