Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help New Guy (Rockville RXA T1 Car Amp)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2017, 11:48 PM   #1
Jeff Mills is offline Jeff Mills
diyAudio Member

Default Help New Guy (Rockville RXA T1 Car Amp)

I'm pulling my hair out my head trying to locate datasheet, replacement or substitute for the following YPI5055C to220 package transistor. These are in the power supply circuitry of a Rockville RXA-T1 1500 Watt Peak/750w RMS 2 Channel Amplifier.

I've searched high and low called mouser and digikey but no help Any advise would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171122_110041861.jpg (286.2 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by Jeff Mills; 30th November 2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:14 AM   #2
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

Private label semiconductors is a feature of the industry. You won't get data.
Best to back up from the application, and engineer it yourself. Is it a fet or Junction transistor, or a double diode? Find one not blown up, see if the left is a base pin that has double diode 0.6v to the other two pins. That is a junction transistor. Polarity determines npn or pnp.
If the center pin has 0.3 v diodes to the two outers, it is a double schottky diode. If shorting left (gate) to right gets infinite ohms right to middle one way, 0.6 v the other way, it is a fet. Polarity of diode determines pfet or nfet .
Then look at power supply voltage by looking at voltage rating on the caps the collector drain or cathode is hooked to. Buy a part with a rating higher than that.
Package size is obvious, buy one of those.
Good luck.

Last edited by indianajo; 1st December 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
Private label semiconductors is a feature of the industry. You won't get data.
Best to back up from the application, and engineer it yourself. Is it a fet or Junction transistor, or a double diode? Find one not blown up, see if the left is a base pin that has double diode 0.6v to the other two pins. That is a junction transistor. Polarity determines npn or pnp.
If the center pin has 0.3 v diodes to the two outers, it is a double schottky diode. If shorting left (gate) to right gets infinite ohms right to middle one way, 0.6 v the other way, it is a fet. Polarity of diode determines pfet or nfet .
Then look at power supply voltage by looking at voltage rating on the caps the collector drain or cathode is hooked to. Buy a part with a rating higher than that.
Package size is obvious, buy one of those.
Good luck.
Thanks man -

I really appreciate your time in responding to my plea for help. Great info

My inboard MM tests have me leaning towards a SCR but I need to pull them to be sure. I have all the other components on order so I'll pull them when they come in.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:14 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Watch your typos, that is 6055 not 5055. And is that YPI as you wrote or YP1? Try both while searching.

The company is still around:
Welcome to Rockville

COntact them directly and ask. A good query might be to ask if they can provide the part or suggest a source. A phone call will be better than an email.

I am not a fan of NTE, but if you can find an NTE cross for it, it will at least identify the sort of part it is.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:38 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Relocated and renamed since this is a car amp.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:51 AM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

They might be 2N6055C darlingtons, I can't imagine their use in an automotive amplifier claiming that power level. I can't imagine an automotive amp could produce that much power in a package of that size or cost.

References to YPI semiconductors appear on the web, I would not click the associated links as they appear bogus.

The amp costs about $70 retail so I would not spend much on an attempt to repair it.
Old 1st December 2017, 06:30 AM   #7
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

What value resistor is connected to leg 1 of that transistor?

Photo of entire board?
Old 1st December 2017, 01:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post

Photo of entire board?
Here is a pic of the entire board mushroomed caps and all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171201_081549399.jpg (1.03 MB, 106 views)
Old 1st December 2017, 01:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post

Photo of entire board?
47 ohm and all 6 measure within tolerance.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Watch your typos, that is 6055 not 5055. And is that YPI as you wrote or YP1? Try both while searching.

The company is still around:
Welcome to Rockville

COntact them directly and ask. A good query might be to ask if they can provide the part or suggest a source. A phone call will be better than an email.

I am not a fan of NTE, but if you can find an NTE cross for it, it will at least identify the sort of part it is.
I called Rockville yesterday asking for the transistor or substitutes. A pretty cool guy named Kevin put in a request to the repair dept and is supposed to get back to me.

Help New Guy (Rockville RXA T1 Car Amp)Hide this!Advertise here!