JL Audio 10w6v3 + 600/1v3 Box Thoughts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I currently have 1 10w6v3 paired with the slash 600/1v3 in a box with same volume as JL Audio sealed spec. Although SQ is unbeatable I would prefer it to be a little louder especially low end.

Parameters for speaker are as follows,

Free Air Resonance (Fs)
30.12 Hz
Electrical “Q” (Qes)
Mechanical “Q” (Qms)
Total Speaker “Q” (Qts)
Equivalent Compliance (Vas)
0.821 cu ft / 23.25 L
One-Way Linear Excursion (Xmax)*
0.75 in / 19 mm
Reference Efficiency (no)
0.11%
Efficiency (1 W / 1 m)**
82.7 dB SPL
Effective Piston Area (Sd)
49.303 sq in / 0.0318 sq m
DC Resistance (Re)***
6.452 Ω

Parameters for JL sealed enclosure are as follows,

Wall Thickness
0.75 in / 19 mm
Front Baffle Thickness
0.75 in / 19 mm
Volume (net int.)
0.55 cu ft / 15.57 L
External Width (W)
12.5 in / 318 mm
External Height (H)
12.5 in / 318 mm
External Depth (D)
10.5 in / 267 mm
F3
42.27 Hz
Fc
47.55 Hz
Qtc

I have added images of a sealed box with the qtc (@ 0.7) a little lower then JL's spec for sealed enclosure (@ 0.8099). I think this may give me what I am looking for but I'm not sure.

I have also added an image of a butterworth b4 ported box but have not yet worked out dimensions.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on pros and cons of either of these enclosures or if I should not change at all and also If I am going for the ported, would I be able to use 4 smaller ports (divide port length and diameter by 4)

Responses will be much appreciated, thanks.

IMG_4234[583].PNG

IMG_4235[585].PNG

IMG_4240[587].PNG

Hi Rupz,

The difference between a box QTC of .7 and .8, are not going to be big. Have you tried stuffing the box you already have? Stuffing the box with Dacron or fiberglass insulation will lower the Q a bit.
I prefer the sound of sealed enclosures in car audio, but bass reflex and some bandpass enclosures are fun to play around with. If you’re going to cut some wood, I would build the BR design you posted or JL’s BR box. Just be aware that you will need to use a HP filter set just below the tuning frequency to protect the driver.
You could use 4 smaller ports. Just make sure that the cross sectional area is about 13 to 14 square inches. The length of the ports will still be the same as a single port with the same cross sectional area. Hope is was helpful. Let use know if you have anymore questions

Regards,
Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.