kicker kx500.2 issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have a kicker kx500.2 sitting here i decided to try out. upon hooking up the amp i noticed it does power on. Problem I am having is there is no sound coming out of the amp. I opened it up and checked voltage at the pre amp board on both GRD and -15v which checked out good and also the GRD and +15v and that only showed me .273v so that tells me there is an issue. Upon inspection I havent seen any burnt or smoked spots on the board. started checking all the power fets and it has 2 bad, D10 and D9. Should I just replace all the power fets and try it or should i try or change anything else?

D9 and D10?

The voltage regulators overheat and develop bad solder connections. At the very least, you have to add new solder, desolder and re-solder the components.

There are other options. Replacing the small transistors with 2N6488 and 2N6491 transistors and adding clip-on heatsinks will make the amp more reliable. The insulator prevents the heatsinks from shorting together.

Attachments

• IMG_0340x.jpg
    IMG_0340x.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
D9 and D10 I believe are diodes on the power supply side of the board. They looked exactly like the mosfet transistors so I was testing the outer 2 legs and my meter kept the tone so my guess is they are open. Screwed up and cut them off of the board and have new ones in the mail.Looks like my amp is setup a little different then what you had pictured.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.