Amplifier hisss problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello im looking to fix the problem, but i kind of dont know there to look for the problem.
My amplifier is typical class ab transistor based amplifier. Ground zero 4 channel.
I accidentally shorted the amp through the case. It was put on an amp that was only connected to ground and the ground zero amp was connected to head unit. And i accidently touched +12v to its case. It broke my rca outputs on the head unit, making the sub pulsate and the ground zero amp got a permanent hiss sound. Adjusting gain doesnt change hiss volume. Its irritating coz im now running mids through it

Where do i look for the problem inside the amp? What should i change to fix this?

Last edited:
You'll have to post a schematic diagram to get any kind of coherent suggestions.
If the amp has surface mount components, I would suggest throwing it away anyway. $700 in tooling is not worth purchasing for a $150 amp. I fix leaded component amps with about $100 in tooling: I use a $50 extra analog AC voltmeter on the really hard cases.

Thanks for the reply. I have all the necessary tools and knowledge to fix it. It has too many components to back trace the amp. I fixed it before and it was ok. Since its not broken and there is static noise like sound i think its some kind of filtering issue but im a little bit lost. I already replaced capacitors near rca inputs. Strangely enough new caps have higher esr value. But it didnt fix it. Unpluging the input board from the main one eliminate that noise.
Here is the picture of insides.
6057b19f3ac036c4daa983ba1f7c1cbd885.jpg

That is a pretty simple amp with repairable leaded components.
You might have blown one of those resistors near the input jack - R101, R102, R201,R203, etc similar names on the other jack. With power off measure them with a DVM comparing results to the value shown on the color code. Resistor color code is on wikipedia. There are often protection resistors or diodes dumping the input (center pin) to the power rails if the value gets outside them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.