connecting 6x9s to head unit advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Evening all

Hopefully someone here can help me as I've never done anything like this before. I recently got a car that had some 6x9s (JLB's GTO935e) on the parcel shelf. The car didn't have a head unit in (the guy took it with him) so I bought a Kenwood KDC6070 and stuck it in. It's currently connected in to the 4 factory-fitted speakers, but not the 6x9s. I want to connect in the 6x9s as well (or maybe instead of the current rear speakers?), but am not sure where they should connect into on the back of the head unit. I've laid some new wires for the speakers, so do I just need to try wire them into the same connector as the current rear-speaker wires? The head unit also has 4 phono sockets (rear L&R, front L&R), so maybe I should buy some connectors and plug the 6x9s into these instead?

Also, before I bother trying to connect the speakers, the other question is are they compatible with my head unit? I've copied the manual information below, but have no idea what I'm supposed to be comparing in each ....

Speakers:
Type = 6" x 9" 3 way
Speaker Impedance = 4 ohms
Power Handling = 100w RMS, 300W peak
Sensitivity (2.83 V,1m) = 92dB
Frequency Response = 50Hz - 21kHz

Head unit:
Maximum output power = 44wx4
Full Bandwidth Power (DIN45324,+B=14.4V) = 27wx4
Tone action: Base = 100Hz +/- 10dB, Treble = 10kHz +/- 10dB
Preout Level (mV)/Load = 1800mV/10kOhms
Preout Impedance <=600Ohms

Cheers,
Lyndon

You need to disconnect the rear speakers and connect the 6x9s in their place. If you run more than one pair of speakers off the headunit rear (or front for that matter) outputs you will take too much current and burn it out at high volume.

The phono connectors are for an amp. If you connect a speaker directly to these you may damage the headunit.

I took everyone's advice and now they're working just fine :)

I took my car up to my local car audio place and they said exactly what richie00boy suggested, so that's what I did. Cut the cables (in the boot/trunk) to the current rear speakers, crimped another short length of wire on the end and pluged it into the speaker. Turn the head unit on and Bob's your uncle, it's working fine.

Thanks for all your help,
Lyndon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.