car power? help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
right a bit random but i realy need some help as to how i go about getting more power from my car. i already run 2 amps, one audison LRX mono block that runs 1x900w and its set up to run at 1 ohm, an another JL audio aamp for a set of components that runs 2x60w. i also have a one farad power car on the audison and a 70amp uprated alternater with a stinger dry cell battery. but i still need more power bc i need to put 2 more amps in at least that will be running aroung 2x200w, my lights already strugle at night and my gain on my amp is al the way down almost. can anyone help me bc i cant get any bigger alternater for my car so i dont know quite how to go about getting more power for my system!!!!!

Are you saying your alternator is 70A or has 70A more than the stock alternator? If you only have 70A, then I would consider finding a new alternator (I'm sure there is something else out there).

If you have the alternator at around 200A, then there's something bad about your electrical work. There are competition vehicles out there that use stock alternator and battery for a LOT of power. If you want to do some math, find the stock amount of current your electrical system draws, subtract that from the alternator current, and you're left with the amount of current you can output to your audio system. Finding the amount of current draw from each piece of equipment is easy enough... just find the fuses and add all of those values together. Hopefully you have at least a couple amps left over.

Lastly, make sure you have the proper guage wire powering the system. There is a "cable calculator" on parts express that shows the proper amount of amps that can go through a piece of cable based on the guage. I know from experience that not having the correct guage WILL lead to dimmed lights.

Hope that helps.

no my alternator is only 70amps, i know i know it seems small but thats cos its a stupid renault clio an they dont use large alternators an there is nothing else out there unless i get my existing one rebuilt. is there nothing that anyone know off at a long shot that i can do otherwise.

Ideas:

1) Ditch the 900W sub amp and get a 100W model paired with a 9.5dB more efficient woofer? :apathic:

2) Put in a couple of deep cycle batteries in hopes of getting a few hours of "loud" time before the terminal voltage drops to the point that you can't see your lights? :att'n:

3) Build some new bracketry, pulleys, wiring, and/or move some engine compartment sheetmetal to install one or more 200A aftermarket alternator(s)? :smash:

4) Learn to live with the amount of sound that 1020 watts can produce in a subcompact car? :xeye:

5) If you absolutely have to drive at night, leave the lights off anyway? :dead:

6) Put a 2KW Honda generator in the trunk? ;)

7) Buy a used American police car --pre equipped with a humongous alternator and plenty of room to mount amplifiers and speakers? :D

70A alternator's not big enough

There's no substitute for high output alternators and wiring to match together with one or more good quality batteries.

I run a 350A Electrodyne (www.electrodyne.com), 4 x 0 wire and 2 x 120Ah commercial truck batteries. Can pull 300A with only 0.2v drop. Use a marine regulator control module to keep an eye on things.

Don't waste your time with Micky Mouse parts.

Mr AC, that 2Kw generator is nothing. I've seen a guy with a submarine generator in a trailor behind his Chevy Suburban.

Phil
Transmitters 'R' Us
http://www.transmittersrus.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.