Planet Audio BB2400.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp cycles in and out of protection due to DC on the outputs. The protection engages quickly so I can not get a measurement on how much DC.

When I opened the cover I found that one of the plastic zip ties that holds one of the output inductors down had been broken and the inductor has been shorting out on the bottom cover AND on the +71VDC bus bar also. It is still connected and not broken at the board. I also noticed R100 had burned open (R101 in similar design amps). None of the output filter capacitors or any capacitors are bulged and none of the outputs are shorted.

So far I have not removed the board from the heat sink, but I have replaced R100 from the top. I have removed every transistor from the audio driver board to check for leakage and found none. With either of the pre-driver transistors out of circuit, the amp will power up and come out of protection as normal. I do have audio reaching the 4565 on the audio driver board.

I'm thinking that inductor is still suspect. Is there anything else I can verify before complete disassembly?

I can get at each leg of the outputs from the top and none are shorted together.

Positive speaker terminal is directly connected to pin 2 of the driver board.

None of the top windings on the inductor appear to be shorted together, although they have been grinding on the bottom cover for a while. I separated the windings best I could see on the bottom side where it contacted the buss bar.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 89
Audio on Pin 3, Yes
Audio on Pin 2, No
DCV on Pin 1, 14.26V. When I checked that earlier, I was using the wrong ground so I glossed over it.

I replaced the op-amp and re-checked for DC on pin 1, there was none. Checked for Audio on Pin 1 and it was present, didn't need to jumper it to pin 2.
I re-installed the end of R80 and removed the jumper on U5. The amp now powers up, comes out of protection and has audio at the speaker terminals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.