DIY car "audio control centre"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY car "audio control centre"?

Seeing as my audio source is going to be an IPod, I started thinking... what's the point of having a head unit? All it'll be doing is taking the auxiliary from the IPod and sending it to the appropriate amps.

Has anyone designed a "distribution system"?
IE:
The audio from the IPod gets fed to the system via RCA. The system allows you to adjust the volume and maybe front-rear positioning. The signals are then sent to the amplifiers in accordance with output settings.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm not exactly fluent when it comes to finitely designed electronics :)

A quick drawing of the layout:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From left to right: Power button, multi-purpose up/down (defaulting as volume control), multi-purpose button selector, LCD.

It would be nice for the system to have some kind of digital "control". IE, you press up or down and the volume will be set to such a level, with the volume displayed on the LCD.

Maybe I'm droning a bit, it's 3:30AM, but I'd certainly like to develop such a system. Maybe I'll get lucky and somebody else will be able to point me to a system that already exists!

Cheers guys :)
-- DJ

Sounds to me like you want to build a digital preamp.

I have been looking for a car based DIY digital preamp for a while, but have had no success.
However there is a good thread about hi-fi digital preamps here.
A lot of good ideas could be taken from here and adapted or built on .

Let me know if you have any success.

n00beR

Cheers, that thread certainly looks interesting.

The idea is:
Source (RCA input) -> Pre-amp (DS1669 digital pot to control level, on/off, balance?) -> EQ -> (RCA) AMPS

In theory it doesn't sound too hard...

Now I need to decide on a decent pre-amp. Do I have one pre-amp for each set of outputs, or do I split the signal after the pre-amp?

I'll keep pondering and posting. Feel free to put in 2c anyone :)

-- DJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.