Kenwood KAC1020 distorted audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This Kenwood KAC1020 powers up fine with no issues, the problem is the audio is intermittent and distorted like millisecond bursts of sound.
The amp only produces audio when the head unit is turned up.

I have another fully working 1020 so I tried to troubleshoot the aforementioned issue. The amp design is modular in that you have a separate power supply board from the audio board and the input and crossover board is another separate board.

I've cleaned the gain pot and crossover switches, swapped the crossover and input board with the working amp. The input board tested fine.

Next I swapped out the two audio section boards, the audio board from the working amp produced good clean audio when wired to the power supply board of the defective amp.

On closer inspection of the defective audio board I found the 3 large molex type connector block pins all had cracked solder joints, I can only imagine this has been caused by the amp being mounted directly to a sub box.
I soldered all the joints, fully expecting this to solve the problem, to my surprise this made no difference.

I tested the output devices against the working amp and they had similar readings on my meter. So to eliminate any output device issues I swapped out an entire bank of output devices to see if I could get one channel going, again this made no difference and the amp still produces broken up and distorted audio.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.