One channel has VERY faint output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of the four channels in my Audiobahn 4401X doesn't seem to be working, but it does put out a very, very faint output (from the pre, i suppose?). I opened it up and everything LOOKS fine. I powered it up with a 12V supply and poked around the ICs a bit with a DMM looking for something that was different on that channel. No luck.

I don't know where to go from here. Occasionally, when I would turn the volume WAY up on the head unit the channel would crackle to life and sound fine. When I turned it down to normal voulmes it would stay on for a while then die out...

Any suggestions?

Immo_G said:
Check and change the pots, i've had this happen on a cheapo amp, the pot failed and was really faint. Just hope its a standard pin layout if you need to replace it.

Thanks for the input, though I'm not sure that would apply to this amp. The only pots on the amp are for gain control, and each one is for two channels (its a four channel amp). Channel one is the bad one and channel 1/2 are on the same gain control pot. Channel 2 works. I'd assume if one channel worked then the pot would be okay...

I don't know all that much about electronic parts and amp design, but could this be a two channel pot? Maybe only one side of it failed?

Immo_G said:
They are usually a dual pot, with one slider per channel. In the one i had, it failed and went 120k except for one or 2 positions, and even in those it kept jumping back to 120k. The other channel on that dual pot was fine.

Hmmmm, sounds like I'll have to give it a try then. Thanks, Immo, hopefully I can find a suitable replacement....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.